Windows 8 does away with the registry

Thread: Windows 8 does away with the registry

Windows 8 does away with the registry

It looks like Microsoft is moving forward and doing away with old technology. That's a shame as part of my goal this year was to master everything about the Windows Registry. Here's the article below.

http://lanceulanoff.tumblr.com/post/...t-the-registry
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Vista and Seven did NOTHING to improve Windows.

They ruined the experience and have forced compatible motherboards for XP off the market to no gain for the users.

8 will suck - prophecy.

Windows 7 did nothing to improve windows
    Your joking right?
    I mean just the fact that you can pretty much pull the plug,crash or turn off the computer anywhere and it comes right back. XP sucked monkey balls in comparison.
    Vista and Win 7 gave us a really finished 64 bit environment and we were able to use as much memory as we needed. Thats just 2 things off the top. There are tons more
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    The Ferrit is most wise.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I wonder how things perform WITHOUT A REGISTRY??

The registry loads into memory when you boot up right?

W/o having a reg,you would have alot more RAM available.... I wonder how it responds?

Quote Originally Posted by CCT View Post
    Vista and Seven did NOTHING to improve Windows.

They ruined the experience and have forced compatible motherboards for XP off the market to no gain for the users.

8 will suck - prophecy.
    CCT, you've got to give up crystal meth. Win7 is arguably the best desktop OS available, including OS X and the various Linux distributions. Name one thing that is slicker or easier to do with XP.

Plug and Play certainly wouldn't be on the list. Crud! How many times have I nearly gone into cardiac arrest because I plugged a USB device into a different port after servicing a machine and bloody XP couldn't find the driver and forced me to re-install it? Tell me you've never changed the keyboard and mouse on an XP system (especially wireless) and been unable to even log in to setup the new hardware.

Security in XP is nowhere nearly as sophisticated as Win7. Win7 is actually the first MS operating system where you can run a limited account and still do useful work. XP tried to implement the concept, but it was a joke compared to Win7's sophistication.

And, XP was ugly, ugly, ugly. I always hated that Cartoon Network interface. Only a Barney the Dinosaur fan could have ever loved it. Snorts of derision, Bruce! I fart in your general direction!

I have, and use, 7 Pro BUT I prefer XP.

And my XP Pro never gave me issues (except when I went roaming to places that were less than safe).

And even then, re-install was a breeze.

Barney the Dinosaur I NEVER watched.

But I get the intent - LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT View Post
    I have, and use, 7 Pro BUT I prefer XP.

And my XP Pro never gave me issues (except when I went roaming to places that were less than safe).

And even then, re-install was a breeze.

Barney the Dinosaur I NEVER watched.

But I get the intent - LoL.
    We disagree, but i hope we still remain friends, even if you are delusional

I too have to agree Windows 7 is a far better OS in terms of security and installing hardware. HOWEVER, I also have to agree with CCT in as with XP if you end up with a corrupted sytem you can do a repair install and all is well. With Win 7 you have to spend the next 3 hours redoing everything.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    I too have to agree Windows 7 is a far better OS in terms of security and installing hardware. HOWEVER, I also have to agree with CCT in as with XP if you end up with a corrupted sytem you can do a repair install and all is well. With Win 7 you have to spend the next 3 hours redoing everything.
    Yeah I find it annoying as well. I believe part of the problem is with how the Win7 DVD is structured. The configuration such as region, names and the basics are variables however the rest of the Win7 installation seems to be a sort of disk image just pushed to the drive. That's why you can't make an ERD disk with the DVD.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Yeah I find it annoying as well. I believe part of the problem is with how the Win7 DVD is structured. The configuration such as region, names and the basics are variables however the rest of the Win7 installation seems to be a sort of disk image just pushed to the drive. That's why you can't make an ERD disk with the DVD.
    I've one one word to say here, and that would be: backup.

Well, I've implemented many Microsoft operating systems over the years and I have purchased windows 7 Pro with the full intentions of being able to use my downgrade rights to install XP Pro. I don't find Windows 7 to be much of a performer if anything I find there to be less functionality for what I use a computer for and if I had to chose my operating system of choice I would have to say I am way more efficient using an XP Pro workstation. It's overall faster performing with less hardware, it's easier to navigate and it does everything I need it to do without cussing that a feature is missing or not functioning the way I would expect. If a windows 7 PC isn't running on an SSD it's truly a waste of time. So I side with CCT.

The only thing that will eventually kill off Microsoft XP operating systems are the companies releasing new software applications that prevent the installation on an XP PC. (Seeing this more and more now).

On the brighter side, I hear Microsoft is finally giving the finger to the Anti-virus companies and locking down the kernel something they should have done with Windows 7. Windows 8 will now make it impossible for root-kit infections or a dual boot systems. Which is fine, because dual boot people should just use Hyper-V. Since the majority of bad infections come from Trojans with a root-kit payload this should dramatically improve and stabilize the Windows 8 platform which will make it less susceptible to mal-ware where Anti-virus companies have failed. http://arstechnica.com/information-t...as-we-know-it/

The Windows 8 interface will be geared towards mobile computing and for a PC it will have a gay interface especially if you don't have an all in one touch screen to go along with it.

However, I think they are stepping in the right direction making it more stable like console systems. They are also bringing back the repair install functionality called Windows 8 Refresh and it is even suppose to be an improvement from the XP repair CD option. http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...omplete-guide/

I am looking forward to seeing these improvements in Windows 8 and how it contends in the real world and that will be the true test.

Hopefully before the release of 8 they get their act together and come out with some Windows 8 classic themes for us guys who prefer the old classic Luna Theme Start Menu or Classic Start menu and Classic control panel approach. I've noticed a trend with the newer Microsoft Operating systems where the most basic and easy features are disabled or hidden and can only be re-enabled through the use of the registry editor. I really hope that if they are doing away with the windows registry that they have another method for enabling useful features that they keep hiding/disabling.
    Last edited by pbolduc; July 23rd, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

I have windows 8 trial on my lap top. I believe it steers toward like I pod touch that I have. when you hit start which is not down there on task bar. It is up by trash can and when you hit start,It is where you come up with squares that you can use your mouse to move across like on I phone or I pod with your finger. I hit start to turn off lap top but there is no sign off or shut down. I can move mouse to total right and Search, Share, Start, Devices, and Settings pop up. I hit settings and you see power button I answered my own question. All those squares are called APPs. I was going to take harddrive out and format it back to xp. But after checking it out I will keep 8 as long as permitted on trial version.
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    It looks like Microsoft is moving forward and doing away with old technology. That's a shame as part of my goal this year was to master everything about the Windows Registry. Here's the article below.

http://lanceulanoff.tumblr.com/post/...t-the-registry
    From what I have read this has been a long term goal of theirs but the registry is not something you can just simply do away with without breaking backwards compatibility so it has to be done in steps. After all we do not want a situation like Apple did with OSX and scrapped their old OS and broke every piece of software out there and had to ship computers dual boot for a while. That worked for them because they did not have the market use that Windows does. Microsoft does not have that luxury to alienate their customers and partner developers like that. I think they are doing a decent job advancing their technology even though I am on the fence about the whole Metro UI on a desktop computer with minimal to no touch interface.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

The flip side of the coin

Windows 8 for those in the retail OEM market the future doesn't look good according to Gabe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377