lexmark x464 scan to netwrok folder and hp 1160 lpt cable problems

Thread: lexmark x464 scan to netwrok folder and hp 1160 lpt cable problems

lexmark x464 scan to netwrok folder and hp 1160 lpt cable problems

Hi,

One of my client just moved to a new office, And I needed to buy him all-in-one laser printer and to relocate his old HP 1160 printer (He use it once a month to print from DOS through LPT cable).
    Regarding the all-in-one printer : It's a lexmark X464. In order to scan from the printer itself, You need to install SCAN TO NETWORK module, But the thing is that I am not being able to verify the network folder from the printer. I called lexmark support, Tried different modules, But for some reason the printer cant see the network path. I can access the network folder from any computer on the network. It is a simple shared folder on a winxp 32 bit machine.....
    Update : I was able to set up a small ftp server using baby ftp freeware and it seems to work. the question is the ftp software/protocol is stable enough I can count on it or buy a commercial FTP software that will be more stable to solve the "scan to folder" problem ?
    Regarding the LPT "wonder".....If I use it's 3 meter cable i can print without a problem. I tried THREE different cables (5 meter and two 10 meter), And it just DOES NOT PRINT !!!! (on one of the 10m cable it DID print twice - but that's it).
    I thought these lpt cables length wasn't supposed to cause problems.

Please advise.

Thank you
    Last edited by HipHoper; December 4th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.

The max length for Parallel printer cables is 15 feet.

Thank you Steve.
    I talked to some experienced cable seller, And he said he even connected 60ft lpt printer cable of good quality and it worked well. He said that the specific printer I use (Hp 1160) Need a specific wired cable for these lengths. Anyway I connected it via active usb 15ft cable, And told the use that when he want to print from DOS (once a month), He can connect it to the 12ft cable I left connected to his computer's LPT port.
    Regarding the Lexmark X464 - After installing FTP server and seeing it works well, A supporter offered me to enter an IP address instead of a computer name in the path and VOILA !!! It works !!

Why aren't you mapping the LPT port to a shared network printer and be done?

NET USE LPT1: \\SERVER\PRINTER
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I'm afraid that it wont print the hebrew fonts in DOS which does print when connected through LPT

It's not "DOS", you're just mapping one port to another.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I am supposed to visit this client this monday, So I'll experiment with the NET USE command. I will make 2 batch files - One to capture the port and another to release it, Just to be on the safe side.
    Thank you CB