Outlook express import address book - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Outlook express import address book

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    It just bugs me when things aren't the way there suppose to be.
    I know the feeling well. Unfortunately, it seems it is often these weird little annoyances that prove almost impossible to resolve. I've got a client who has had a problem since July where Acronis 2012 randomly stops generating logs for a day or two, then starts creating log files again. Since I'm pretty OCD, I burned a lot of time with Acronis support, without ever getting a resolution At the end, all I had to show for it was wasted hours and a very high level of frustration. You'd think I should know better by now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    All Lies I have done it a number of times and here are the instructions

http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/th2outlook.php
    I used imapsize. And ended up with a ****load of screwed up messages - enough to be useless. Messages opened fine in TB though, but in OE they had screwed up dates and corrupted content. I ended up stuck with TB... Fortunately since then I switched to almost exclusively use of Hotmail.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Let's face it, email clients and protocols weren't originally designed for the demands users place on them today. Outlook Express, with it's low limits on folder size and it's lack of junk filters, etc. is pretty much the poster child for dysfunctional email clients. But Outlook isn't really a prize either. Specifically, I've had poor success importing contacts lists from other software into Outlook (no matter if they were CSV files or other formats) and have them look like they did in the original software. Considering how proud MS is of Outlook, it just seems it should work a lot better than it does.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Considering how proud MS is of Outlook, it just seems it should work a lot better than it does.
    Well it still leaves Domino/Notes in the dust... After having to deal with them for years, going to a MS environment was a blessing....

I can share Kodiak's pain....not with OE though, but with transferring everything (messages/folders/contacts) from old Netscape 7.2 email to Windows Live Mail. It worked after several tries and experimenting with different email import programs. Only using TB to import/convert Netscape did I get a chance to import that to Windows Live Mail in several steps. Never again am I going to touch anything Netscape related.

Quote Originally Posted by cookin chef View Post
    Never again am I going to touch anything Netscape related.
    I believe you are safe considering it was discontinued long ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

It just bugs me when things aren't the way there suppose to be.

Me too. BTW, shouldn't your "there" be either a "they are" or "they're"? (Couldn't resist).
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Well it still leaves Domino/Notes in the dust... After having to deal with them for years, going to a MS environment was a blessing....
    Well, that's true enough. If you're in need of a good laugh, check out David Gewirtz blog about Notes, and the commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I used imapsize. And ended up with a ****load of screwed up messages - enough to be useless. Messages opened fine in TB though, but in OE they had screwed up dates and corrupted content. I ended up stuck with TB... Fortunately since then I switched to almost exclusively use of Hotmail.
    One of my favorite add ons for Thunderbird is Import/Export Tools. It requires some expertise to use (you need to know where any files you want to import are stored, or be able to find them), but it works very well.

All the same, like it or not, webmail is going to replace email clients in the near future for most users, especially with the growth in mobile devices. For corporate users internal needs, Exchange, often in conjunction with Sharepoint, is already a clear winner.
    Last edited by slgrieb; December 31st, 2012 at 07:26 PM.