[RESOLVED] What would make a high pitch sound from a sound card?

Thread: [RESOLVED] What would make a high pitch sound from a sound card?

Tokamar

Post What would make a high pitch sound from a sound card?

I bought a X-Gamer soundblaster and everytime I moved the mouse I would get a very high pitch sound but the sound would be there even if I did not move the mouse. The computer would lock up to. No shareing the IRQ 5,that was ok. I bought a PCI Maxi ForTissimO sound card and works ok but there are a few compatible problems with the drivers and games. I also put my old ISA AWE sound card in and it works with all games but the sound is not all thAT great. I have a 733 P3 but I downloaded the creativelabs patch for that, still did not stop the noise.

lj3759

Lightbulb

I don't know if this could be the problem or not, but when you hear a high pitched squeel, it could be the video card. You might just want to check that... just because it is new, it doesn't mean that it is good...

Tokamar

Originally posted by lj3759:
    I don't know if this could be the problem or not, but when you hear a high pitched squeel, it could be the video card. You might just want to check that... just because it is new, it doesn't mean that it is good...
    Thank you for the reply, I was thinking of my CraetiveLabs Geforce 2 video card. My problem is I have know way of checking it out. I guess I could buy a second hand 3D video card and try it. I sent my first Asus P3C-E motherboard back to Asus because the AGP port did not work.

Arcane

I have a Sound Blaster Live Value and a SB PCI 512 and they've both done that too me. I fixed it two ways, though one only worked once on the 512 and never did on the live:
    1. change the memory range of the sound card in the device manager. I found that turnning it up raduced it and turnning it down increased it.
    2. mute the microphone, even it if't not plugged in. I also muted the AUX and TAD-IN to get just a bit more silence out of it. I also mute the rest of my unused channels and it sounds fine now.

Tokamar

Cool

O

Thank you for the info Arcane, I never thought of changing the memory range...good stuff!!:-) I'II give it a try...thank you again.

riginally posted by Arcane:
    I have a Sound Blaster Live Value and a SB PCI 512 and they've both done that too me. I fixed it two ways, though one only worked once on the 512 and never did on the live:
    1. change the memory range of the sound card in the device manager. I found that turnning it up raduced it and turnning it down increased it.
    2. mute the microphone, even it if't not plugged in. I also muted the AUX and TAD-IN to get just a bit more silence out of it. I also mute the rest of my unused channels and it sounds fine now.

Glob

Try positioning your soundcard in the slot furthest away from your video card, CPU, and PSU if possible. This will help reduce HF interference.

Tokamar

Wink

Originally posted by Glob:
    Try positioning your soundcard in the slot furthest away from your video card, CPU, and PSU if possible. This will help reduce HF interference.
    Thanks for the reply, I tryed all the PCI slots and it did not stop the noise. It was worth the try though.

Nelee

I was wondering if you have muted your MIC. Not sure if that could be causeing the problem. I have seen that at times with any sound card.

Hope that works for you.

Nelee