Internet explorer problem

Thread: Internet explorer problem

Internet explorer problem

I needed to download avast so went to google and gave me a few sites. What I picked was a yahoo site. I did not think it would be problem, What I downloaded was avast 7 and weather bug and yahoo tool bar in one bundle. I have weather channel already. I went to remove programs and uninstalled tool bar and weather bug. Restarted and weather bug was still there. Went to programs and uninstalled again then restarted. On my task bar I have google chrome and Internet explorer. Used Internet explorer and pop up presented saying: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. Then a bar at bottom of box CLOSE PROGRAM. At this time I have 5 promps on task bar and if I keep closing another one pops up extending on my task bar, When I use Chrome no problem. I went to internet options thinking I could get rid of what ever it is. Home was at yahoo. Changed it to M S N but still same problem. Windows 7 64 bit, asus mb, 8 gigs ram, dual intel cpu, Zotac g force video 2 gig
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Yeah, about the only safe place to download nearly anything is the publisher's site. There are plenty of these packaged downloads that come with lots of unexpected "goodies". Even legitimate sites are often hacked, and may surprise you.

My normal routine is pretty simple. Scan with TDSSKiller, then ComboFix, and a full scan with MBAM. That's good for about 95% to 97% of what ails you, but a full AV scan is a good precaution afterwards.

Thanks, I was going to use combo fix in safe mode with networking. I could not toggle off Avast for 10 minutes or more and you need to turn off av scanners. I guess best bet delete avast till I am done with clean up.
    I was before.

Free stuff will come more and more with junk installed in the program. The more you install these types of programs the worse it will get.
    The old phrase "There is nothing free on the internet" is becoming more true every day.
    Some toolbar leftover or piece of software associated with weather bug is what is screwing up IE so go to,
    Internet Options in the control panel
    Advanced tab at the top
    Reset Internet Explorer back to default
    See if that helps
    Oh and by the way I have used Combofix many many times without disabling the AV successfully.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    Free stuff will come more and more with junk installed in the program. The more you install these types of programs the worse it will get.
    The old phrase "There is nothing free on the internet" is becoming more true every day.
    Some toolbar leftover or piece of software associated with weather bug is what is screwing up IE so go to,
    Advanced tab at the top
    See if that helps
    Oh and by the way I have used Combofix many many times without disabling the AV successfully.
    Weather Bug, now re-branded as Desktop Weather, is a truly odious POS. It hits you with more or less the full line of MyWeb junkware, and pushes bunches of ads, none of which apparently have been screened at all. Thank you, Weather Channel for a product that feels a lot like a railroad tie up the wazoo. I've certainly seen plenty of incidences where MyWeb's trash has broken Internet connectivity.

But, once again, it's important to remember that you can get slapped almost anywhere. As a case in point, Elder Child was recently involved in a school project where she needed to edit some audio tracks, so I installed Audacity for her. It turned out that she needed to convert a lot of files from and to WMA format for the project.

Following a link on Audacity's page at sourceforge.net, I downloaded the FFmpeg import/export library, and both NOD32 and MBAM set off alarms saying the the download contained the Babylon Toolbar, so I terminated the download and went with different software. There was nothing on the download page that told me the Babylon Toolbar was included with the library, so I didn't even have the option to opt out of downloading the toolbar.

I emailed sourceforge.net about this issue, because either the site had been hacked, and/or really needed to rethink their policies. Never did get a response. Had I been a bit more calm when firing off the email, I might have gotten a reply, but I did use language suggesting that the staff at sourceforge probably had extensive carnal knowledge of their immediate families as well as pets and livestock. So, that might have been a factor in their lack of response.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    Advanced tab at the top
    See if that helps

Resetting in advanced mode did the trick
    I was before.

Glad that fixed ya up.
    If it looks too good to be true Indeed it usually is
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Seems to be a old thready. Anyway, I was just discussing about IE in another forum. I have got to know some shocking stats which I have never believed and it says IE is the most protective app against malware. By the way, I never liked yahoo toolbar, they are just irritating. I used IE where yahoo toolbar will auto installed and it was tough to use, tough too see and also tough to remove. I personally hate these yahoo guys. Now they have bought tumblr, not sure the fate of tumblr.

Quote Originally Posted by ionamartin123 View Post
    Seems to be a old thready. Anyway, I was just discussing about IE in another forum. I have got to know some shocking stats which I have never believed and it says IE is the most protective app against malware. By the way, I never liked yahoo toolbar, they are just irritating. I used IE where yahoo toolbar will auto installed and it was tough to use, tough too see and also tough to remove. I personally hate these yahoo guys. Now they have bought tumblr, not sure the fate of tumblr.
    Hello, ionamartin123, you really need to take some of the stuff you read about IE 10 and Win8 with a shaker full of salt. As in any tests that use IE's reputation system. Reputation systems are easy to gimmick, and they won't block a malware download; they will just nag you to death about it, in a best case scenario. The catch is that there are plenty of downloads from apparently legit sources that won't trip IE 10's reputation system because the downloads are OK, but if they are from a bogus site, you can get hit with unexpected payloads, and then you're still infected. MBAM Pro is your friend, as is good AV software.

I do bunches of malware removals on Win7 systems running IE 9 & 10, and a fairly large number of removals on Win8 machines.