Printer Issue
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Printer Issue

Printer Issue

Have a laptop windows XP Pro SP3. Have scanned for virus, malware and rootkits. System is clean and updates are current. The problem is the print spooler will not stay started. Have done searches, tried numerous resolutions to no avail. Cannot add a printer even through the install of software. Print spoler stops assoon as you try. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Here is a fix I found which may help
    Solved
    Ok, I attempted that, and it was unsuccessful due to the fact that I couldn't reach that location.

HOWEVER, I found out what it was.

There was a corrupted registry entry for print provider. I deleted it, opened printers and faxes, and all the printers magically populated themselves into the folder. It was quite a sight to see.

I found it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTRO L\PRINT\

That's where the providers folder is located, there are two by default: LanMan Print Services and Internet Print Provider.
    I sincerely hope this helps whoever else has this same issue.....

Forgot to ad this part
    go to start --> run --> type in "regedit" without the quotes, and from there you can navigate the path that I gave you.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTRO L\PRINT\

then you check the providers folder and delete the ones that aren't the defaults.

Defaults are: LanMan Print Services and Internet Print Provider
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Thanks Feritt, tried the suggestion rebooted and sorry still the same problem print spooler stops when trying to access the print server or add a printer.

So. Zonie, I'm going to assume you've gone through all the basic fixes like using regedit to kill, say leftover Lexmark printspoolers, etc. checked spooler dependencies, yadda yadda. The last couple of times I've been there and done that, the only way I could solve the issue was with a repair installation of Windows, or restoring a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    The last couple of times I've been there and done that, the only way I could solve the issue was with a repair installation of Windows, or restoring a backup.
    I did a restore backup, no go, did a SFC /Scannow, no go. Finaly I opened task manager seen something running I wasn't sure about, went to msconfig, found two instances of Belkin running turned them off, rebooted and viola, printers back, spools.exe running, problem resolved. Go figure. Thanks for everone's help. Greatly appreciated.

I think you will be having a printer which does not meet the standards of the current operation system.Please upgrade your operating system to windows 7 will helpful to work. standards of the printer may not be compatible with the operating system.

Welcome to Windrivers peterhain. The printer is a Dell A920 which is 7 years old and has worked for my client all these years until recently. When they installed a new Belkin router, they used the CD to install with which in return installed a backup program causing the problem. FYI, You will find XP SP3 is still supported on all printers for the most part until April 2014 when it then becomes obsolete. Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    I did a restore backup, no go, did a SFC /Scannow, no go. Finaly I opened task manager seen something running I wasn't sure about, went to msconfig, found two instances of Belkin running turned them off, rebooted and viola, printers back, spools.exe running, problem resolved. Go figure. Thanks for everone's help. Greatly appreciated.
    I'd say that has to be one of the stranger software issues I've heard in a while, and I'm glad you got it sorted out. As an aside, I've set up some Belkin routers, but I didn't use their software. Now I'll be sure never to use it. Why are all these router set up programs always about 10 times harder to use than just configuring the router manually?

Cause everyone thinks oh you need all this crap software to "help" you out.
    What a crock, log in, configure, save and reboot done.
    That way none of these issues would spring up.
    How many times do they add some sort of junky software and
    create an issue that shouldn't be even there?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    Cause everyone thinks oh you need all this crap software to "help" you out.
    What a crock, log in, configure, save and reboot done.
    That way none of these issues would spring up.
    How many times do they add some sort of junky software and
    create an issue that shouldn't be even there?
    In the same vein, why does every company that makes a wireless LAN adapter feel compelled to include a management utility that does nothing that isn't already built into Windows? Most of the time they aren't even as simple or reliable as Windows native WLAN management. I think that Cisco may be in a class of their own in this regard, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Concerning the Windows WLAN Management, the last two Dell laptops I've had didn't use that. The Dell's use the Intel WiFi Connection Utility to handle the WiFi.

As for the router mangement utility, you usually just put it on your primary system. You can then use it to rename your network name to WHATEVER, update the password, and remove certain IP's if desire. So they do serve a purpose...just don't put it on every device.
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    Concerning the Windows WLAN Management, the last two Dell laptops I've had didn't use that. The Dell's use the Intel WiFi Connection Utility to handle the WiFi.

As for the router mangement utility, you usually just put it on your primary system. You can then use it to rename your network name to WHATEVER, update the password, and remove certain IP's if desire. So they do serve a purpose...just don't put it on every device.
    Right. Ferrit, Zonie, and I all get that. The question is "Is there any benefit to this stuff?" I'm gonna go with "no". I just don't see how any of those management utilities is any easier to use than simply using direct management or Windows native tools. But hey, it's good to see you around, even if you're wrong about this. I just spent 4 days in New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, and Dripping Springs. After spending a Saturday doing Bobcat Day at Texas State University, I'm still so crippled I can hardly walk. Can you say "Hilly Campus?" Wanted to visit the relatives in SA and Leon Valley, but ran out of time.

I think it doesn't come down to which is better, it comes down to "If the customer not being tech savvy has to use this and gets used to it, then by default they'll love said companies name because they supply the option". Or at least that's the marketing strategy that is used by them. Honestly I think it's stupid and a useless tactic that just ends up wasting time.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

In regards to the Belkin, the cd installed a Backup Utility automatically? What happened to the terms of "If it ain't broke don't fix it." IMHO, the routers have become so convoluted with unnecessary crap the basic security is forgotten. I used to like the ability to control access to the internet on the WIFI using MAC filtering. On some of these routers if you try to use the MAC filter, it not only controls the Internet, it affects the whole network now. I won't even get into the fact you can't even hardly get a router without it being a cloud based one. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    In regards to the Belkin, the cd installed a Backup Utility automatically? What happened to the terms of "If it ain't broke don't fix it." IMHO, the routers have become so convoluted with unnecessary crap the basic security is forgotten. I used to like the ability to control access to the internet on the WIFI using MAC filtering. On some of these routers if you try to use the MAC filter, it not only controls the Internet, it affects the whole network now. I won't even get into the fact you can't even hardly get a router without it being a cloud based one. Just my 2 cents.
    Have you tried building a device for it? A few years ago I got interested in building an Astaro Firewall but didn't have the time to mess with it. They were bought out by Sophos but here is the link to their software http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products...e-edition.aspx which came from the bottom of this link http://www.astaro.com/node/11351

As an after thought, what ever happened to the DDWRT project? I know you could reprogram an actual router with their OS and it was a lot more efficient, more secure, and in some cases boosted the wifi signal.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; April 16th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.