Slow Internet After Format

Thread: Slow Internet After Format

Slow Internet After Format

I just recently set up a Dell OptiPlex GX270 for a friend of mine. I deleted the partitions, reinstalled Windows XP SP3, and proceeded to the windows Update site to download 127 updates. Once I got the PC to my friend’s house I connected it to his wireless router, check the connectivity, and left. Before leaving I went to www.testmy.net and checked his download speed several times with the average being 2.2 MB and the lowest being 2.0 MB/sec. The unit has 1 GB of RAM. The wireless icon in the taskbar DID say the signal was FAIR to POOR but the download speed remained a constant 2.0 to 2.5 MB/sec. He has an older model D-Link wireless card which never gave me any issues.

A few days later he mentioned that when he tries to scroll down the page that it more or less skips/hangs and that several pages he went to {Facebook being one} actually froze and after giving it 5-10 minutes he finally just rebooted.

I know 1GB isn’t that much RAM but this PC was one of mine and I never had any issues. There are no background programs running that I know of other than Avast as I had just formatted this PC and only installed anti-virus and Microsoft Office.

What can I look for to solve his issues?

Thank You,

Jeff Farrar
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

Did you install the chipset and other drivers from Dell's web site?
    U+00BD
    <p>&#x02BC;</p>

code 39: '
    U+02BC: ?
    U+02BC: '

Thank you Sir! I will check that. I thought I remembered going to Device Manager to ensure there were no issues. Maybe a driver issue with the chipset would NOT be reflected by the customary yellow triangle. To make sure, I'll plug my Tag Number in once again at Dell's site and install the chipset.

Thank you very much for your help.

From your original post, I see you had downloaded and instlled the updates with no problems. Was the pc connecte by hardwaire or wireless? My first thought would be the router as a suspect since you had no issues setting it up. Just my 2 cents. Oterwise thepc may have some malware which could be checked with malwarebytes.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Often times windows updates does an update on hardware devices. In this case it could have updated the wireless drivers.
    There could be the problem. I have seen a windows hardware update for wired nics actually render them useless till it was
    removed and then re detected and installed.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I did the format/reinstall at my home via a wireless connection to my router. Then, once I arrived at my friend's house, I connected to his wireless router and noticed at that time that it SEEMED to be a little slow {even though the download tested at 2.5 MB} but had to hurry for another appointment. His wireless router/modem is different than mine {I use DSL-he has cable thru his router}. I do remember that after the 127 updates downloaded I immediately shut down and carried the PC to his house so it IS possible that Windows Update to the wireless card caused the issue. It is an older D-LinK model DL-550 I beleive. Would I then return to D-Link's site, download the correct driver, and reinstall?

I feel bad as he paid me $100 for the tower and 17" monitor and now it is much too slow. I told him if I could not resolve this I'd just refund his money.

Thanks!

Well you could try a driver rollback on it.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html