Hp dv7-4060us

Thread: Hp dv7-4060us

Hp dv7-4060us

This laptop is not booting and it shows a blinking light on the cap locks key witch suppose to mean the CPU is faulty (one blink) how reliable is this? If reliable I will get a cpu and see.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    This laptop is not booting and it shows a blinking light on the cap locks key witch suppose to mean the CPU is faulty (one blink) how reliable is this? If reliable I will get a cpu and see.
    I doubt that it is reliable, so I'd try booting from the Linux distro of your choice and see what happens.

Won't boot anything to the screen at all. fans spin up and nothing comes up.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Hey Kodiak, take a look at THIS and see if this helps. It could be the memory according to the forum.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

I would connect an external monitor and try.
    I would remove the battery and try.
    I would remove the harddrive and try
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Tried all that and nothing. I even pulled the whole laptop apart and reseated the processor and nothing.

Unless you know someone with some pretty sophisticated test equipment and knowledge of how to use it, you may have to simply start swapping in known-good components until you find a combination that works. The three basic components are the Motherboard, CPU and RAM.
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Unless you know someone with some pretty sophisticated test equipment and knowledge of how to use it, you may have to simply start swapping in known-good components until you find a combination that works. The three basic components are the Motherboard, CPU and RAM.
    I'm thinking that essentially rebuilding the computer a part at a time doesn't really have much appeal as a solution. Personally, I'd feel pretty secure in saying that if the system won't boot Linux or display a splash screen, and pulling the battery and disconnecting power for a minute didn't get the machine running, you are almost certainly looking at a dead MOBO; especially if you've tried an external monitor and it wouldn't light.

A defective processor is pretty uncommon, but an HP laptop with a dead motherboard is about as common as a belly button. You can probably find a replacement mainboard for cheap on eBay, but it's likely to be a used board with little or no warranty.

I agree. Motherboard first, RAM second. Unless the computer's been zapped (ESD), dead CPUs are rare.
    --
    Doc
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

yeah I tried a those things Slgrieb and nota, nothing. Everything spins up and does show the HD light flashing though but nothing on the screen at all..

Next step: Try a different motherboard.
    --
    Doc
    \_______/

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    A defective processor is pretty uncommon, but an HP laptop with a dead motherboard is about as common as a belly button. You can probably find a replacement mainboard for cheap on eBay, but it's likely to be a used board with little or no warranty.
    It seems to me that most of the models in HP's DV series have been dogs. And in many models, MOBOS have been a major failure point. So, I'm not sure that replacing the board with another crappy-by-design board is the best solution. Personally, I think I'd shoot Old Yeller.