A old problem

Thread: A old problem

A old problem

I have a house in town and a cabin very rural. I have a computer at both locations, with cable broadband at home and dial up at the cabin. The dial up service is *very* slow with different modems, different dial up connection #'s, and ISP's tried. So I'm thinking the problem is probably multiple phone line switches between me and their network office that's cutting the baud rate way down. The common response is "get satellite service", but this being a secondary location just doesn't justify the cost. Is there anything, like going accelerated service, that will help at all?

Do you get a decent to strong cell phone signal in the rual location?
    U+00BD
    <p>&#x02BC;</p>

code 39: '
    U+02BC: ?
    U+02BC: '

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S. View Post
    I have a house in town and a cabin very rural. I have a computer at both locations, with cable broadband at home and dial up at the cabin. The dial up service is *very* slow with different modems, different dial up connection #'s, and ISP's tried. So I'm thinking the problem is probably multiple phone line switches between me and their network office that's cutting the baud rate way down. The common response is "get satellite service", but this being a secondary location just doesn't justify the cost. Is there anything, like going accelerated service, that will help at all?
    Actually, the problem with slow connection speed on a dialup connection has less to do with how many switches, etc. you have to go through than the fact that dialup is limited to 56kbps tops. And that's with a good hardware based modem and not some WinModem POS.

Mr. Jones is right, in that you can get an adapter that will let you use a cell phone connection for the computer. It's cheaper than satellite service, and certainly works better. It's still a little pricey, but dialup is essentially useless, satellite is pretty slow and generally has enormous latency, so it's pretty frustrating too. Your cellphone provider can fix you up with the hardware and service. You'll have to contact them for rates and hardware.

A late reply but I did handle it.

1. There is only 1 cellphone company's coverage here - Verizon- and it's very spotty outside only. So a contract with them would have been an expensive mistake.

2. The dialup speed was about 14.4 at best because of telco's problems.

3. I checked into satellite service and got it with Exede. The monthly rate is the same as Verizon wanted ($50/mo), and the monthly download limit is 5x as much as Verizon's. (10gb vs 2gb). The satellite download speed is running 10-18meg/sec and upload at ~2.5meg, depending on location selected in the speed test. Very stable service except in heavier rain.

4. Exede corporate was hard nosed, even dealing with a tech like me, but they do have some 3rd party contractors who do a good job and are friendly. So end result is that I dumped that shi--y dialup & telco and got really good service now. Thanks for your input though.

I was searching for the same topic/ question but this page really satisfied me with the details which are very much important as well as will help others also.

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**