memory overflow error

Thread: memory overflow error

memory overflow error

I am using an external cdrom on compaq evo d300 v and I am trying to reformat my drive due to a virus when I insert the disk into the cdrom and try to boot off of it I am getting memory over flow error hwo could I resolve this?

Try using that same disc to boot a different computer that has an internal CD/DVD drive. If you get the same error, the disc is probably the problem. (Dirty, scratched, bad copy/burn, etc.).

If the disc worked fine though, try it again but this time use your external cdrom drive. If it fails now, you know there must be some kind of problem with the external cdrom drive.
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

I do not have another computer I can use the disk to boot on but if I can view the contents of the disk under my computer is that an indicator that the cdrom is functioning, and the problem could be something else?

Quote Originally Posted by paul62 View Post

... if I can view the contents of the disk under my computer is that an indicator that the cdrom is functioning

Not really. Booting from, and viewing the file index of, are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by paul62 View Post

... and the problem could be something else?

But of course ... probably enough various combinations of scenarios to fill an entire book. The problem could be caused by an issue with some of your computer's hardware and/or firmware, a problem with some of the software, maybe an electrical problem, an issue with the external CDROM drive, a flaky CD/DVD disc, and/or it could be some sort of a conflict between any two or more of the above items.

So, without knowing anything about what you might have available there on your end, the first thing that came to mind was to simply test the external CDROM drive and CD/DVD on another computer. That way, if either one had failed you'd immediately know that the problem was NOT your computer and potentially save yourself a whole lot of grief.

Hopefully others will be along soon with some other ideas to try.
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

Is this the same computer you had a virus on in the previous post? Tjhere is the posibility you could have a boot sector virus which will not allow you to boot and install the OS.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

I think I amy have a boot sector virus because I am using a new cdrom external it may be the same model as the last one same problem, the virus is trojan fakeav

You will need to create a boot cd or usb with someting like Bitdefender rescue cd or scan your hard drive on another PC.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!