HP Laptop w/win 8

Thread: HP Laptop w/win 8

HP Laptop w/win 8

I confused on the new win8. There is no key code so how is it you reinstall win8 on a laptop that the drive is replaced?
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Just a bit more info. The system is win 8 64bit so I put in the disc (win8 64bit) and all it will do is ask for the key. For some reason I have to put it in legacy support to get it to boot to the dvd and from what I understand it has to be in uefi to be able to pick up the key code itself so I'm kind of stuck here.

This is a hp 2000-2d11dx
    Last edited by Kodiak; June 27th, 2014 at 04:16 PM.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

This explains why Uefi with Win 8 -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/what-uefi .

As far as the key, if you haven't got it elsewhere -> http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...roduct-key.htm .

The laptop's hard drive failed and no way to extract the key off the hard drive. From what I understand as long as your computer is in UEFI mode it is suppose to pick up the OS your trying to install and enter the key itself however when in UEFI mode the computer doesn't boot to the cd even though it is selected as the boot device and when you hit F9 to show the boot list all it show is the boot manager with nothing in its list other then going to the bios to select what you want to start with which it doesn't start with.

Have you pulled the battery and looked there for the COA?
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

I came across this response to a similar (not identical) dilemma ->

"As Windows 8 came pre-installed and as you have formatted the hard drive, the recovery partition made by HP also would be wiped out. In this situation, you need to contact HP support and let them know about this situation so that they can help you further. They might provide you with a recovery disc using which you can install Windows 8. As Windows 8 came pre-installed on the computer, the product key is embedded in the MotherBoard so you will not have to type the product key at the time of installation.

HP Support: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/ "

per: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...63b8c38?page=3

Looks like I will have to order the software. I don't think I have ever seen the product key on a win 8 machine.

Just another way to make windows a pain in the *** and push people to Apple. Niiiiccccceeeee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Looks like I will have to order the software. I don't think I have ever seen the product key on a win 8 machine.
    All the machines I build have a keycode sticker on them
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    All the machines I build have a keycode sticker on them
    Are you talking about laptops too? I bought a laptop at WalMart that was windows 8 .
    is hp laptop there is no coa anywhere. I actually removed hard drive to see if it was under the drive.
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Umm I don't build laptops
    I build desktops so we were misunderstanding each other.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    Umm I don't build laptops
    I build desktops so we were misunderstanding each other.
    I think it would be great to build laptop. I do not believe they have any kits
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Instead of using a "Certificate of Authenticity" sticker with a viewable (i.e., easy to steal) "Product Key", PC manufacturers are now embedding the Windows Product Key -- associated with a fingerprint of the hardware -- into the BIOS/UEFI firmware on the motherboard. This is part of Microsoft's new OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0) mechanism and has been designed to combat piracy.
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

Of coarse if your building a machine you put the coa on the machine but all the store bought have none. Somehow the board recognizes the disc you put in as the correct version and lets the system instal but in this case it isn't. I ordered the cd's and it all worked out. I will have to start learning how to repair Apple I think.

Its a lot more likely that HP screwed the whole thing up rather then Microsoft as has happened all along.
    Remember back when Vista came out and Microsoft has a strict set of guidelines for system requirements.
    HP and Dell and all the rest all complained bitterly about the cost of such requirements and pleaded to have
    them relaxed. MS did and guess what, Vista was hated universally because they built it on limited resources and hardware.
    It ran perfectly fine on a good system with good hardware. So in all likely hood HP cut some corner or implemented
    something incorrectly and that's why it doesn't see the restore disk correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Of coarse if your building a machine you put the coa on the machine but all the store bought have none. Somehow the board recognizes the disc you put in as the correct version and lets the system instal but in this case it isn't. I ordered the cd's and it all worked out. I will have to start learning how to repair Apple I think.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net