[RESOLVED] Multifunction printer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Multifunction printer

Resolved [RESOLVED] Multifunction printer

I had a Dell 1815 that decided it was going to quit. I purchased a Dell B1265dfw MFP. Setup was ok as it did not have much in the way of advance settings. My problem is, all the functions work with the exception of the Fax. When I plug the phone line into the printer, it immediately opens the line and causes the phone line to shut down like it was going to dial out. I thought there was a problem with the Cox cable and had them come out. They found the problem to be the fax and stated it was acting like it was trying to dial out.

I again went into the settings and could not find any way to even set it to manual. I called Dell and after about an hour with them, they said they would send a new printer. I now have the new printer and guess what? The same thing is happening. It would seem unlikely the second printer would be faulty. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    That machine will not fax using an internet phone line. it has to be a traditional land line. If it is a land line, try replacing the cable.
    Last edited by MobilePCPhysician; December 22nd, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Thank you for the reply. I find it interesting as I have had cox cable with digital phone service for about 8 years. The other printer worked just fine on the fax. What would make it different now? Would it be the hardware on the printer?

I don't have any idea. I find that the newer multi functions will not work with internet phone. The one exception is Vonage. If you have phone through them, they give you free fax number. And the multi functions work with them.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Some devices may have a weird connection scheme for the phone plug. Try with a 2-wire phone cable. I am using a multifunction with MagicJack, had it before with another VoIP phone, no issues. A fax should work with ANY VoIP provided there is no really, really bad implementation of a filter. The speed of the fax will downgrade to the point where the communication can be established.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

You cannot use this machine as a fax via the internet phone. For more information ask your internet service provider. Per the user manual. Here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/577...page=60#manual
    Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician View Post
    You cannot use this machine as a fax via the internet phone. For more information ask your internet service provider. Per the user manual. Here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/577...page=60#manual
    I assume they refer to services such as Google Voice, Skype, Yahoo Messenger etc as "internet phone". POTS lines are disappearing as they are being replaced almost everywhere with VoIP services.
    Compatibility with Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or Private Branch Exchange (PBX) systems cannot be guaranteed. Whenever possible test the suspect device using a standard Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) fixed line.
    Cannot be guaranteed = should work.
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN286360

Thank you all for the advice. I am still somewhat confused as everyone is assuming this is a internet phone service. This is just a standard land line I use for my business. The business number is the same one I have had for 15+ years and is why I have kept it. I do have cox service and they do use a modem to change their service from digital to analog. Their service has never required a filter such as Century link and other clients I have, do not have this problem.

"Update", Dell sent a new printer and still does the same but they also sent a email: " I am escalating this on your behalf for further assistance as it seems to be a product limitation on the type of phone line you're using. " Well we will see what happens then.

Did you have a chance to try with a 2-wire cable?
    Also you can try to make a new 2-wire cable with the wires swapped. Some devices may look at the line polarity to determine the status.

While no help whatsoever this is interesting -> http://en.community.dell.com/support...528/t/18897081

What is the ' Receive Mode:' set at ?

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Did you have a chance to try with a 2-wire cable?
    Also you can try to make a new 2-wire cable with the wires swapped. Some devices may look at the line polarity to determine the status.
    Hey CeeBee, I did not do this. Must admit the holidays took over. I do not have the necessary equipment to create a 2 wire cable.

Thank you for the info. I find that ironic as I never did have a problem with my 1815DN. As for the receive settings, RING to answer = 6, RECEIVE MODE = Tel, (Tried FAX, ANS/FAX), V START CODE = not checked, Auto Reduction = Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    Thank you for the info. I find that ironic as I never did have a problem with my 1815DN. As for the receive settings, RING to answer = 6, RECEIVE MODE = Tel, (Tried FAX, ANS/FAX), V START CODE = not checked, Auto Reduction = Checked
    Like many programs, you may have to re-boot after making a change in settings.

I'd look at the difference between Tel and Fax receive - this isn't an area I know a lot about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    Hey CeeBee, I did not do this. Must admit the holidays took over. I do not have the necessary equipment to create a 2 wire cable.
    Cut 4-wire cable with a knife. Only connect the middle 2. Removing insulation and twisting will be enough for a test.
    If you're careful you can split the jacket and only cut the 2 outside wires.
    To swap the polarity as a 2nd step just connect the 2 center wires the opposite way...
    If it works you know the problem. If it doesn't then it's probably a ****ty fax.

I am not sure what the implications of this are, but -> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c02271163