OK, I have given my father my old Aptiva 2140-L5H computer and it is having issues. I decided to format and do a clean install of ME on it( I have it on 4 machines and no problems on them) and have a problem. When I set the machine up, I used my Viewsonic monitor and my cambridge speakers instead of the IBM monitor with built in Bose speakers. Well I set up the machine at his house with the IBM monitor and had no sound. I installed all the drivers from IBM, but no go. Next I formatted, installed the OEM software, ran fine. Upgraded to ME (as not to lose the monitor/sound drivers) and everything seemed fine. 2 days later (today) he has no sound. Any ideas how to restore the Crystal sound drivers and keep them from disappearing? here are the specs if you need them: PII-233 MMX 128MB ram 3.9gb HD, 3.9gb 2nd HD, onboard audio (crystal) onboard video (Riva TNT "AGP" 2MB) ??? no AGP slot... ISA modem IBM MM55 monitor w/ Bose built in speakers. I can check the drivers, and there are several listed under each device, but when I check "details" says not installed. When the sound disappears, the monitor's volume control disappears as well. I B So Cornfused!
Dan