[RESOLVED] no sound at all..

Thread: [RESOLVED] no sound at all..

solosteel

Unhappy no sound at all..

hey guys/girls. my sound is not working on my comp, which is obviously a big pain in the butt. Wasn't that big of problem (just no sound) for most games, but I would obviously like some sound with this game. Anyways.. I went to the DXDiag, and it won't even let me click on ths sound tab it has gotten so bad!

I get the error..
    "The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use."

Getting this error when I do a test in the Diag (Let me in the second time.)
    "DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)"

thing is.. I reinstalled my sound driver not too long ago, so I have no idea what's going on. Installed a RW CDrom not too long ago, and sound was working for two months after that.. not sure if i did something to mess that up or not though.

If anyone could help me, I would be forever in their debt. Thanks guys.

DXDiag Info.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 3/12/2001, 04:53:16
    Machine name: N4X4Y1
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 1998)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    Processor: Intel Pentium II, MMX, 350MHz
    Memory: 96MB RAM
    Page File: 115MB used, 441MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 7.0 (4.07.00.0716)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 4.07.00.0700

----------------------------------
    Inactive Sound Entries in Registry
    ----------------------------------
    Card name: Sonic Impact A3D Wave
    Driver: asp4wave.drv
    Card name: Sonic Impact A3D Wave
    Driver: asp4wave.drv

Why does it say it's inactive? How do I get it active?

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: Game Compatible Device (emulated)
    Device ID: MODEMWAVE\GVC_CANADA_V.90_FAX_MODEM_(SKV)\ISAPNP&A EI9240&FFFFFFFF
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 89
    Type: Emulated
    Driver Name:
    Driver Version:
    Driver Attributes:
    Driver Certified:
    Date and Size:
    Other Files: serwave.vxd
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    HW Accel Level: Full
    Registry: OK
    Sound Test Result:

Why does it not say my Sonic Impact in here? This sucks big time..

My sound system is a Sonic Impact S90.

solosteel

Also one more thing. Went to the sound driver installation tutorial. Got to the part where it tells you to go into the system devices, or whatever, and got down to the "Audio, video, game controllers" section, but when I click on it just has "Voice Modem" and NOTHING else! arg..

Bah... also forgot to add that there is no speaker icon, in the bottom right corner of my taskbar if that is of any importance.. :P (The yellow speaker icon, that lets you control volume.)

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me out guys/girls.

[This message has been edited by solosteel (edited March 12, 2001).]

NooToo

Wink

Windows seems to have mislaid your sound card. I would suggest that you remove the card with the computer shut down and reboot.
    Then shut down again and put the card back in a different slot and start it up. If the card detects, good, install the drivers. If not, looks like you have a duff sound card.

have fun!

------------------
    Never ever say out loud or even think to yourself near a computer "I'll just do this quickly...."

KWB Teck

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by solosteel:

<Snip>
    Got to the part where it tells you to go into the system devices, or whatever, and got down to the "Audio, video, game controllers" section, but when I click on it just has "Voice Modem" and NOTHING else! arg..

</font>
    Boot your system into SAFEMODE and follow those instruction. Remove all the sound devices you find there then reboot.
    Windows should reinstall your devices on the reboot.

ZATH 2099

Thumbs up

Try this I found similar problems with my sblive and this solved it

switch the system off and remove the snd card
    reboot and get into the bios find "clear nv ram" or "reset configuration data" (usually found under pci pnp setup)
    boot the system all the way into windows and shut the system down again.
    reinsert the card into the system and switch back on.
    the pnp system should the redetect the card.

solosteel

Unhappy

Ok... thanks for all the suggestions guys and girls but I have now run into an even bigger problem.

Here is goes... I took out my sound card, and restarted my comp. No problem there. THEN I put my sound card back into my comp, and restarted and it won't let me into windows! I have no idea what went wrong. I can get into safe mode, but that doesn't really help, because I don't know what to fix! :P

it goes to the windows splash screen, and then it goes back into what looks like dos after waiting for about 10 secs on the splash screen. It just stops at this point. It is NOT frozen, because there is a "_" that keeps blinking and I can ctrl+alt+del. Any ideas what to do now? I'm really getting myself in deep. I turn a no sound problem into a windows not working problem. Now I remember why I stopped trying to fix these things before.

Anyways... I know this is not a sound problem anymore, but if you could help me, I would really appreciate it. If not, if you could send me in the right direction where I could get this fixed, I would be pleased as well. Thanks again guys/girls, in advance.

Solosteel, the hopeless.

Lightbulb

Take out that sound card! As was suggested above, it sounds like that card is AFU. Leave it out. If the system runs fine without it, then get another card...they sure don't cost very much anymore.

Good Luck!
    DonJ

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!