[RESOLVED] SB Live! + APCI = NOISE!

Thread: [RESOLVED] SB Live! + APCI = NOISE!

TiderFish

Thumbs down SB Live! + APCI = NOISE!

Hello, I have a SoundBlaster Live! and a ASUS CUV4X-DLS motherboard with two P3s @ 888mhz (overclocked) and I am getting loud crackeling while playing games, and listening to MP3s. I called the techsupport, and they suggested changing my ACPI f(x) to Standard PC in the Windows 2000 Prof Device Manager. This fix works, however Windows only uses one of the Processers. I purchased this motherboard cause I wanted to use 2 processers, and now I can't play games with both processers, and correct sound quality! I have tried increasing the PCI latency setting in the BOIS, and moving the sound card in every PCI slot available, to no avail. It seems that my only other alternitave is to get a different sound card type. However, I do like the SB Live, when it works correctly. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?? Please help!

------------------
    Matt|ttaM

[This message has been edited by TiderFish (edited March 15, 2001).]

Maveric7911

Talking

Maybe you should not ever touch a computer again since you have the touch of death.

------------------
    Don't Let Tiderfish touch your computer its the touch of death.

MacGyver

Before we even start to help you, I advise you to stop overclocking your system and see if the problem goes away.

Oh yeah, your software must support multi-processors or it will only make use of one processor.

------------------
    Tech: "You need to pack up your entire computer and bring it back in to us."
    Customer: "Why?"
    Tech: "BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO OWN A COMPUTER!"

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited March 15, 2001).]

TiderFish

I did try to clock the processers to the correct speed, and the did not help. Windows 2000 Prof is capable of using dual processers.

------------------
    Matt|ttaM

Maveric7911

MacGyver
    he may have the bad touch but he is not an idiot. The computer runs fine and weither its over clocked or not its not going to make a difference I had a p3 over clocked and ran the same exact video card and worked fine and also almost all game apps are now geared to use 2 cpus if available.

------------------
    Don't Let Tiderfish touch your computer its the touch of death.

Darren Wilson

U are running Dual CPU's?

Change it from Standard PC to MPS Multiprocessor PC. That is why you are only seeing one CPU.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TiderFish:
    I did try to clock the processers to the correct speed, and the did not help. Windows 2000 Prof is capable of using dual processers.

</font>

And...just because W2K supports two processors doesn't mean that any of your programs will. The OS and the program have to support dual CPUs.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

TiderFish

I have tried to change the PC type to a MPS Multiprocesser PC, as suggested but I still get the distortion. I have even tried to manually assign the SB's IRQ to 10, to no avail.

------------------
    Matt|ttaM

Darren Wilson

Overclocking will also up the PCI bus speed above the standard 33Mhz.

I do agree with McGyvers overclocking side of the discussion.

Does ito the same if the CPU's are set at the correct frequency?

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

TiderFish

Yes I can clock it at 800mhz (defalt clock) and as long as it is set to be an ACPI or MPS machine, I will get the noise/trunkation. I wish it was that easy!

------------------
    Matt|ttaM