Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 upgrade

Thread: Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 upgrade

Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 upgrade

I have an old laptop from around 2007 or so and got MS-DOS 7.10 and Windows 3.1 working fine. I rename the win.com file to win.old, exit windows 3.1 and run the Windows 95 setup from MS-DOS 7.10. It goes through and upgrades fine, but when it is loading into MS-DOS 7.10, it says Invalid settings in MSDOS.SYS WINVER=4.10. I figured out that 4.10 is Windows 98's version number so I changed it to various Windows 95 version numbers to no avail. I finally up and removed that line in both MSDOS.SYS and MSDOS.--- (which is the same as MSDOS.SYS, but with a different extension), and that error disappeared. I also noticed too that certain numbers in the MSDOS.SYS/.--- files caused them to fluctuate between its normal spot and the bottom in the C:\ directory (I have the file manager addon for MS-DOS 7.10 called Volkar or something). Anyways, the real error I have is a blue screen that appears after typing in WIN to start windows 95. I type in WIN, and it goes to load, showing the mouse and blue-green screen, but then throws the blue screen error. Is it related to the WINVERSION error I was getting before I removed that line, or is this something different? The error message is this; Windows A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 00A8:00007ED8. The current application will be terminated. Press any key to restart the current application (doing this just rethrows the error). Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE again to restart the computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's an interesting article:

http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index21.htm
    U+00BD
    <p>&#x02BC;</p>

code 39: '
    U+02BC: ?
    U+02BC: '

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I will try that article now. Thanks!

Haven't tried that method yet. Found MS-DOS6.22 install files, but don't have enough CD's to burn them to to use with the laptop. I tried installing just 95, but it said it didn't have enough memory to initialize windows. I installed windows 98 and got the same thing, so I added in MaxPagePhys=3B000 to the SYSTEM.INI file, and it fixed that (should work with 95), but it threw a blue screen, and made it very hard for me to shut down the laptop (it would take forever for it to register the force shutdown from the power button). IDK why Windows 3.1 works fine, but 95 and 98 don't.

If you had asked these question 20 years ago, I could probably have helped.

I started my PC life with DOS 4.0 .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    If you had asked these question 20 years ago, I could probably have helped.

I started my PC life with DOS 4.0 .
    I think I started my PC life with either 95 or 98, and this was back in the early 2000's. And I was maybe 4 or 5 at the time.