Is the age of the CD-ROM dead?

Thread: Is the age of the CD-ROM dead?

Is the age of the CD-ROM dead?

With the absence of DVD drives in most of everyone's computers nowadays do you think the age of the CD is dead, think about it, when was the last time you needed or used your pc for cd/dvd purposes, almost nearly every game/song you could ever need or want is instantly available at your fingertips for next to no cost at all (not including piracy). Just recently i saw an article that states windows 10 will be available in USB formats. we are in an era where a usb flash drive is just as cheap to manufacture as a DVD. So do you think USB will be the next DVD format per say? I think we will probably start seeing more software developers release there software on both USB flash drives and DVD format, and i think eventually we will eventually see DVD's phase out completely. while DVD's are not ancient tech, they certainly could use an upgrade. they scratch easily and dont last as long. and most of the time you can never recover your disc if its broke or too scratched. So what are your thoughts?

I would rather have a DVD Drive and not need it..... Then NOT have one and Need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post

... when was the last time you needed or used your pc for cd/dvd purposes, ...
    Yesterday, to install the driver for a new Zexmte bluetooth adapter from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post

I would rather have a DVD Drive and not need it..... Then NOT have one and Need it.
    Ditto!

All of my grandkids, nieces, nephews and their friends would have a hissy fit if they copuldn't play any of their racks and racks full of CDs, DVDs and BluRays.

I do agree however that some day in the future they will eventually become (almost) obsolete ... just like Record Players, 8-Track, Cassette, Floppy disks, etc. ... and Me.
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

I've used one maybe 1-2 times a year in the last 2-3 years, and that was for handing out a bunch of pictures because the person didn't have a USB stick handy.
    At this point if I had to buy a new one I'd just get an external unit; virtually the same price and portable.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Yep, that's what I use the most around here as well ... small portables. I do still have one 'elder' computer with a slot-type BluRay/DVD/CD burner.
    --
    Doc
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

You're absolutely right. Manufacturers will start to use USB drivers for their drivers as the cost is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by futu View Post

You're absolutely right. Manufacturers will start to use USB drivers for their drivers as the cost is similar.

A device driver is a computer software program that operates or controls a particular type of device that is attached to a computer.

A USB flash drive (no "r" on the end of the word "drive"), is a data storage device that includes flash memory with an integrated USB interface.
    --
    Doc
    \_______/

I think yes. USB has destroyed it and what about cloud storage and the ability to share all files online???

Quote Originally Posted by soundsgood View Post
    I think yes. USB has destroyed it and what about cloud storage and the ability to share all files online???
    I also agree with you here. Thank you

You are welcome)

Quote Originally Posted by soundsgood View Post
    You are welcome)
    It's my pleasure. Thank you!

With the absence of DVD drives in most of everyone's computers nowadays do you think the age of the CD is dead, think about it, when was the last time you needed or used your pc for cd/dvd purposes, almost nearly every game/song you could ever need or want is instantly available at your fingertips for next to no cost at all (not including piracy). Just recently i saw an article that states windows 10 will be available in USB formats. we are in an era where a usb flash drive is just as cheap to manufacture as a DVD. So do you think USB will be the next DVD format per say? I think we will probably start seeing more software developers release there software on both USB flash drives and DVD format, and i think eventually we will eventually see DVD's phase out completely. while DVD's are not ancient tech, they certainly could use an upgrade. they scratch easily and dont last as long. and most of the time you can never recover your disc if its broke or too scratched