Sound card drivers for a HP Pavilion 8160

Thread: Sound card drivers for a HP Pavilion 8160

Exclamation Sound card drivers for a HP Pavilion 8160

I've recently formatted a new hard drive and have had difficulty trying to get my computer to recognize my wavetable soundcard.

I not sure who manufactured the card as the only writing on it relates to Digital Systems 1997 DSAC-300.

HP wasn't able to help me with a recovery CD and I'm not able to generate any audio. (I'm receiving a no Mixer device error when trying to generate any sound).

Does anyone have an idea on what kind of sound card this is or where I might find drivers for it to work?

Thanks!

I guess my first question would be is this the original sound card or did you buy this one as an upgrade? If it's an upgrade, then start rummaging through the file cabinets and desk drawers looking for the driver CD. If not, I checked out HP's site, and they don't have any sound drivers for your model except this one. I hope that this helps. It referrs to Analog Devices blah, blah. The download isn't that big, so you're not out too much by giving it a shot. If that doesn't work the only advice I can give is purchase another cheap sound card, since HP declares that if the driver is not on that page, then it is not available for download. I picked a card up last weekend for $8, and it works fine. Installing is a snap, too.

If you could, remove the cover from the PC and take a peek at the sound card itself. There's gonna be a lot of little chips on it, but the only one that matters is the largest one. What does it have printed on it? Is there any screen printing on the back of the card that might give a clue as to who made it? I was able to find a couple of IT companies named "Digital Systems", but none of them made sound cards or chips.

I've done a little more research and poured over the card in an effort to determine the manufacture.

I located on the largest chip (Thanks for the heads up Campos562)the company Analog devices and the model: AD18MAX10JS Soundport.

I've scoured this website for the driver and have tried to install an AD18MAX10 and have had numerous installation errors. Analog's website doesn't list the exact driver.

I thinking the original advice given to me to buy another sound card is my best bet.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd gladly listen.

Thanks!

Exclamation

From what I could tell, it looks like your system was originally shipped with Win95. You say you had to reformat...did you use the Recovery Disk or just a generic version of WinDoze? If you used the Recovery Disk, you should have been able to recover the sound drivers. If you lost the disk or your disk is bad, you might try ordering another one from 1-888-HP-DISKS.

If you loaded up a different version of WinDoze, you might be SOL. As referenced above, the only driver listed is an update. You will need to have the original driver in order for the update routine to work.

If you do decide to go with another sound card, you will need to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard sound there. Just for reference, go here for motherboard jumpers for your Pavilion.

Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Unhappy

Thanks for all the help in regards to this matter.

I've located the original device driver for my soundcard (Analog Devices AD1816) and downloaded the install for windows95.

83% of the way through the install I receive a lovely message stating:

The file ‘msopl.drv’ on Windows 95 CD-Rom could not be found. Insert Widows 95-Cd Rom into the drive selected below, and click OK.

This file is not located on my Windows 95CD. This pretty much ends the install as alas this file is needed to configure the device or even boot windows normally.

Any Ideas on where I can get this file, or what I can do to remedy this situation.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Exclamation

Originally posted by Wilky:

83% of the way through the install I receive a lovely message stating:

The file ‘msopl.drv’ on Windows 95 CD-Rom could not be found. Insert Widows 95-Cd Rom into the drive selected below, and click OK.

When you insert the Win95 CD, you will probably have to "Browse" through all of the directories on that CD to find that file. Once it finds it, it should take off for you. Also, try performing a "Find" on that CD...go to Start/Find/Files...then select your CD drive to begin the search.

Just looking at the file name, it looks like an OPL file which Yamaha uses for their sound cards...

Anyway, if you still can't find that file on your CD, let us know...we'll try to find one for you.

DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!