ATI video card will not let me re-set resolution

Thread: ATI video card will not let me re-set resolution

Post ATI video card will not let me re-set resolution

I accidentally hit some key combination on my Compaq Armada 1750 notebook running Win98, and increased the screen resolution. Couldn't reset it to 800x600 in Control Panel, so I downloaded the latest drivers for my Rage LT Pro AGP 2X at ATI's Web site.

I still can't reset the drivers! I selected 800X600, True Color 32-bit and rebooted, but Control Panel/Settings is still showing Super VGA 1280x1024.

How do I get the video card to cooperate?

Thanks.

Sounds like the ATI Driver is still not set/installed. Also make sure you have the Monitor set to Compaq 1024. I have a Compaq 7800...it has same hardware...
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

I just want to now if you have Microsoft netmeeting setup to be accessed by a remote computer.. If so it will prevent you from changing your display settinig. Just disable it and then change your setting.

Originally posted by Lycia:
    Sounds like the ATI Driver is still not set/installed. Also make sure you have the Monitor set to Compaq 1024. I have a Compaq 7800...it has same hardware...
    Lycia:

Thanks for To your reply. The current driver is installed, and I selected Compaq 1024 as the monitor, as you suggested. Problem persists.

To get the image to fill the screen, I have to select 1024x768 resolution. Then I have to increase the font size. Then my DOS windows display too small.

When I select the desired 800x600, my Windows image displays too small, with black space all around it. Same for the DOS window.

I have no idea how this happened, but it occurred suddenly and I can't change it back.

Originally posted by Tommy_91:
    I just want to now if you have Microsoft netmeeting setup to be accessed by a remote computer.. If so it will prevent you from changing your display settinig. Just disable it and then change your setting.
    Tommy: I do not have Microsoft netmeeting set up on this computer. Thanks, though.

Originally posted by Bob Jones:
    Lycia:

Thanks for To your reply. The current driver is installed, and I selected Compaq 1024 as the monitor, as you suggested. Problem persists.

To get the image to fill the screen, I have to select 1024x768 resolution. Then I have to increase the font size. Then my DOS windows display too small.

When I select the desired 800x600, my Windows image displays too small, with black space all around it. Same for the DOS window.

I have no idea how this happened, but it occurred suddenly and I can't change it back.
    Uh as far as I can tell, and I may be wrong so if anyone out there can, feel free to correct me, anyway, the compaq laptop screen is made to be viewed at the 1024 resolution and not 800x600, which would result in the black bars, esentially the smaller screen. A qucik fix, until some one can suggest something better, is to set at 1024 then go to display properties/Appearance, and make your fonts and icons bigger. Also, you can go to Display Properties/Effects and choose the Larger Icon check box.

I think I know what you want to do, however, I don't remember how to do it. YOu basically want to do what you would normally do on a desktop. However, as I said before, I don't think the laptop screen, or the display drivers, were made that way..
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Darren Wilson

If you want to run it at 800x600, just set the monitor driver to 'LCD Screen 800x600' and the black border will dissapear. Otherwise, leave it at 1024x768.

Bob Jones.. I have the same Laptop a Armada 1750 with the same driver. I running windows me and my display is set to. 800x600. My monitor is set to default monitor. All I can suggest to you is to close any aplication running in the system tray that uses your graphic card. You said your not running netmeeting, so check if you have anyother program like netmeeting running in the background and close it. Then try to set your display. If all fails put in your startup disk reboot your computer and at the a prompt type A:\scanreg /restore and restore your computer to an earlier date when everything was running fine.

Originally posted by Lycia:
    A quick fix, until some one can suggest something better, is to set at 1024 then go to display properties/Appearance, and make your fonts and icons bigger. Also, you can go to Display Properties/Effects and choose the Larger Icon check box.
    [/B]
    Lycia: I can do a quick fix by selecting 800x600 and then going into Control Panel/System and expanding the image to fit the space each time I boot. But this does not explain why the resolution keeps coming up at 1024x768, with that big black border.

I reinstalled Compaq's drivers for this machine, and the problem continues. Why did it occur? It's completely exasperating.