[RESOLVED] Blank screen and no boot when installing Trident PCI 3D video card

Thread: [RESOLVED] Blank screen and no boot when installing Trident PCI 3D video card

Question Blank screen and no boot when installing Trident PCI 3D video card

I have an older (1996 vintage) P133 system with a Biostar MB-8500TUR Mobo, AMI BIOS from 7-95. Works fine (but slow video) with the current Cirrus Logic 5430 PCI VGA card. I installed a new DRVGA3D-8MB PCI card with a Trident Blade 9880 chipset. New card is also marked with "8210PCI".

When powering up, I get a blank screen and 8 beeps (mobo code for bad video ram). I have installed 2 brand new cards with the same results.

I suspect the mobo/BIOS won't completely support PCI V 2.1, but I do have a PCI network adapter that claims to require v2.1 and it installed just fine. I have researched the mobo and existing video card on the net, but can find no PCI slot specs on either.

I checked setup in the BIOS and there is no place to select the type of monitor/adapter, but on bootup, the BIOS screen shows Video Type as "EGA/VGA". In the PCI section of the BIOS screen, it shows "VGA Card" in the proper PCI slot when the old video card is in the system. The Biostar website claims that there was only one version of BIOS for this mobo, so a BIOS upgrade seems hopeless.

I don't need 3D video, but I want an inexpensive card with more RAM for faster video. If someone has any ideas on how to get this card running, great! If not, any ideas about another card that may be compatable with this museum piece?

Thanks!

Chris

I always have that problem when use a Trident VGA on a SOYO motherboard (having mostly a VIA chipset).
    There's no solution. I just replace the card with another brand.

You don't have to worry. Just get an S3 or an ATI PCI one, since you don't want to play games. They're cheap and you can find them almost everywhere.

Good luck...

------------------
    Always try to do the best.
    If it's too difficult, just forget the whole idea!!!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

castro2

Smile

Food for thought> I had a similar problem with a video card, the computer was not even reading the card, come to find out that the card was not set right in the slot, make sure its set properly in (all the way in), or you will get those 8 beeps also.. try it out ...

Lightbulb

I was thinking the same thing as castro2, also try moving the video card to the first PCI slot. I have seen card work just by moving them to an other slot.

eirac69

Angry

Chris, you have been ripped off. If you look at the chip under the heat sink, it will be an agp chip. It will work only if your mobo supports pci 2.2 compliancy.Someone needs to sue the heck out of these manufacturers.Nothing you can do but use another,older card. Even if you manage to get it to boot, after about 2 hours your monitor will crater. Looks like a virus. I have had to replace a lot of these cards.

Cool

Originally posted by ChrisM [email protected]:
    I have an older (1996 vintage) P133 system with a Biostar MB-8500TUR Mobo, AMI BIOS from 7-95. Works fine (but slow video) with the current Cirrus Logic 5430 PCI VGA card. I installed a new DRVGA3D-8MB PCI card with a Trident Blade 9880 chipset. New card is also marked with "8210PCI".

When powering up, I get a blank screen and 8 beeps (mobo code for bad video ram). I have installed 2 brand new cards with the same results.

I suspect the mobo/BIOS won't completely support PCI V 2.1, but I do have a PCI network adapter that claims to require v2.1 and it installed just fine. I have researched the mobo and existing video card on the net, but can find no PCI slot specs on either.

I checked setup in the BIOS and there is no place to select the type of monitor/adapter, but on bootup, the BIOS screen shows Video Type as "EGA/VGA". In the PCI section of the BIOS screen, it shows "VGA Card" in the proper PCI slot when the old video card is in the system. The Biostar website claims that there was only one version of BIOS for this mobo, so a BIOS upgrade seems hopeless.

I don't need 3D video, but I want an inexpensive card with more RAM for faster video. If someone has any ideas on how to get this card running, great! If not, any ideas about another card that may be compatable with this museum piece?

Thanks!

Chris
    Thanks all! I found an older 2meg video card for a couple of bucks. Works just fine and I have faster video now.

Thanks again,

Chris