Save picture as...

Thread: Save picture as...

Save picture as...

Hi there,

How come everytime (well almost everytime) I right-click an image and choose "save picture as...", it always defaults to save it as "untitled.bmp". The image is clearly named something else with a different file format, but somehow this keeps happening. I can't figure out how to fix it. Anyone ever seen this happen before? It just sucks because I have to save the image to hdd, open it,.. save it "as" a different file format and rename it. This never used to happen and I've done nothing to cause it to happen (or did I?). Any help is appreciated.

Wrbby...
    Hello World

Are we talking about Internet Explorer? When it starts saving all files as .BMP it usually needs the Temporary Internet file cache cleared out. But I don't remember if it also calls the files "untitled".

This also happens with norton and za privacy.... mskb on the subject
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for the tips folks.

I'd had the same problem just yesterday.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Ok cool. Awesome. Thx!
    Hello World

Also set your Temporary Internet Files to something over 678MB. That was what fixed the issue for me.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Mines at a default 1562mb (not sure if that's standard default or not, but its what mines always been at and I never change it).
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    Also set your Temporary Internet Files to something over 678MB. That was what fixed the issue for me.
    Any particular reason to do so?

Teach me, master.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Hmmmm......someone here pointed me in that direction a while back. Thought it was Platypus.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Call out to Platypus: Remember the reason for this?

Usually I'm pretty good at resolving the small things like this one,.. but I just could not find the answer for the life of me. This has been bugging me for about 2 weeks now.

Either way,.. a huge burden has been lifted, my problem is fixed and I am one happy Wrbby!! Thx again everyone.
    Hello World

Crumbs, my Temp Files is set at 20M or something, but I can't make myself think too hard about it at the moment, it's 19 hours since I got up this morning and I've driven for nearly eight of them, so my eyes are falling out and I need to go to bed...

Anyway it seems the problem happens because IE holds an image in memory as a bitmap, and if you want the original saved, say .JPG or .GIF, and it's not cached in the Temp Files folder, IE doesn't download it again, it converts it, but needs scratch space in the folder. If the original isn't cached because the folder is full, it also doesn't have room to do the conversion, so just says "can't". Apparrently it's not smart enough to make room "on the fly". I suppose having an enormous amount of room available for Temp Files means the problem will probably never happen...

Thinking about why it's never happened to me, I realise I always save images from the screen object as .BMP anyway because re-saving a .JPG loses quality a second time unless you use Save Target from a link.
    Last edited by Platypus; December 21st, 2003 at 08:10 AM.

Setting the advanced option to "Empty temporary Internet files folders when browser is closed", then use the default value size from IE for temps works for me. Using this setting doesn't always delete all of the temp files, but I rarely see anything over 20 meg leftover. At home, I have 4 meg and I have never deleted the files...6 months worth of browsing, that ain't too bad...

Thanks for the reply, ornithorhynchus.

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Thanks for the reply, ornithorhynchus.
    anatinus... err I mean anytime...