Last summer I researched a lot for a high volume printer for the DVD labels for the software I sell, I looked at lasers thinking they cost less in ink (I always thought that was the advantage of lasers) but found that in you buy the manufacturer's cartridges the cost per page is double that of ink jet.

That leaves all other laser printer's disadvantages I knew about:
-Terrible print quality (even a $10 000 color laser can't even come close to a $100 inkjet's quality)
-Slow (today's $100 inkjets easily beat even a $1000 black and white laser for speed)
-More maintenance

The one and only advantage I can come up with for laser is water proof prints.

So, why do companies use laser printers if the only advantage is water proof prints? I doubt any company needs that.

I also think maybe the more expensive lasers might end up costing less than inkjet in ink/toner, but with today's inkijet generic prints you can print 2000 pages for $10 of ink.

So, what in the world is the poiunt of laser printers and how did they ever survive with all those disadvantages?

I'm well aware that just a few years ago it was the other way around, but inkjet technology has advanced to the point were I simply don't understand how laser printers are still surviving.