I have a computer that I thought I would use as a server on my intranet. It is a Intel P133 with award bios. I have a Promise ultra 133 tx2 ide controller card and lots of various size harddrives in it and it runs on win98se. It will do all I ask of it and I can install anything I want for peripherals. It will exchange files on my intranet.
BUT!
I can install/uninstall any software as long as I don't have it automatically restart. I must shut it down with the start/shutdown option on the software. It will not warm boot. I have to ask it to shutdown not restart.
I know what you are thinking win98se shutdown supplement at microsoft.
No help!
I have troubleshooted that the warm restart problem occurs after the ESCD update.
No harddrive installed boot disk only.
I don't believe the operating system is at fault because it hasn't loaded the boot disc yet and it will start acting up. I believe it is motherboard bios/cmos based problem but I am no expert.
Ctrl/alt/del will restart the computer properly before ESCD update but not after ESCD update........it will go into hibernation (coma) and will have to be cold booted.
Left alone it will boot normally to boot disk but cannot be restarted with Ctrl/alt/del
Left alone it will boot normally to operating system on harddrive and will run normally with no errors but will go to hibernation (coma) if asked to restart.
A pesky problem, small really in the big scheme of things, but I would like to rectify it prior to putting it into service as my backup server for all my other computers.
Diamond Stealth 3d video card....
Award Modular v4.51pg 08/12/06-i430vx,umc8669-2A59GL1cc-00
Award Plug and Play Bios extension v1.0A
32000k Dimm Memory
512k cache memory
Promise ultra 133 tx2 ide controller
Isa legasy Awe32 Sound blaster
Dlink 530tx ethernet 10/100
Look forward to any and all help
Thank you