I just recently set up a Dell OptiPlex GX270 for a friend of mine. I deleted the partitions, reinstalled Windows XP SP3, and proceeded to the windows Update site to download 127 updates. Once I got the PC to my friend’s house I connected it to his wireless router, check the connectivity, and left. Before leaving I went to www.testmy.net and checked his download speed several times with the average being 2.2 MB and the lowest being 2.0 MB/sec. The unit has 1 GB of RAM. The wireless icon in the taskbar DID say the signal was FAIR to POOR but the download speed remained a constant 2.0 to 2.5 MB/sec. He has an older model D-Link wireless card which never gave me any issues.

A few days later he mentioned that when he tries to scroll down the page that it more or less skips/hangs and that several pages he went to {Facebook being one} actually froze and after giving it 5-10 minutes he finally just rebooted.

I know 1GB isn’t that much RAM but this PC was one of mine and I never had any issues. There are no background programs running that I know of other than Avast as I had just formatted this PC and only installed anti-virus and Microsoft Office.

What can I look for to solve his issues?

Thank You,

Jeff Farrar