Computer won't power up

Thread: Computer won't power up

Question Computer won't power up

Last night I was building my first computer.

AMD 1.4 Athlon
    Biostar M7VKD MotherBoard
    640Mb RAM
    GeForce 2 MX400 64Mb DDR RAM
    Sound Blaster Live! X Gamer

I got everything put together and made sure I hooked all of the cables up correctly. Was about to push the power button when i forgot that I didnt hook any of the power\reset\led wires up, so I hooked them up, pushed the power button, and nothing happened. I've tried hooking them up several different ways and nothing ever works.

Heres a diagram of how they are supposed to be hooked up, and I don't know how to read this.

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/mbps31/Index.htm" target="_blank">Diagram</a>

I can also here a small little humming noise coming from the power supply, so I'm thinking that its working as it should be?

I've checked everything I could think of, maybe you guys can think of something else.

Is the PS new or used? Have you ever seen it in working condition previously? Usually small hums or clicks out of the power supplies without their fans turning is not a good sound. Take everything out of the computer except motherboard, processor, 1 stick of Ram 512MB or below, 1 hard drive, 1 floppy drive and video card. Make sure everything is connected properly. Since the button on ATX form factor boards are soft buttons, if it is hooked up wrong you should hear nothing because it won't be sending info to the ps to turn on. After removing the rest of the components other than what is stated, see if it will turn on.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Red face

I just did that and it still won't turn on. I did notice the when I press the power button one of the fans starts to move and then stops. Also there is no more noise coming from the power supply. I'm thinking faulty power supply.

sigel

make sure your CPU fan is on the CPU fan header, otherwise it won't boot, its to protect from overheating of the chip, i believe almost everyone has implmented this and followed A-Bit's lead

Do you have an I/O switch on the PS that is Off?
    I have done this many times.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Talking

The only problem was that the motherboard was grounding out (It was touching the case). It was my first time to mount one and i made a mistake.

[quote]Originally posted by Codec:
    <strong>The only problem was that the motherboard was grounding out (It was touching the case). It was my first time to mount one and i made a mistake. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Gotta watch that... ground the wrong thing, and you've got a $189.00 walll decoration.
    ---
    Back with a vengeance.
    ---
    Try Windows Vista, the CE.ME.NT eXPerience...