dialup connection long distance?

Thread: dialup connection long distance?

Post dialup connection long distance?

Win98SE, P200, 56K.

I'm working on a friend's computer/modem. (she lives in another state)

I want to test this modem by dialing into
    her ISP but so far I can't. Can this even be done? I'm using her area code plus the '1'
    prefix. I've also tried it w/o the '1'.
    I know the modem's fine because it dials into my local ISP no prob.

I also tried doing this from MY computer
    just to compare but it also could not connect.
    Any ideas?
    Thanx.

furlong47

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to do that. I've called my home ISP long distance before and even made the modem dial 9+1+the area code and number+a long distance billing number to connect. Is it possible that the ISP could be blocking long distance calls to avoid unknowing customers from racking up huge charges??

------------------
    "True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country."
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

Amateur Radio Callsign KB3FHH

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by furlong47:
    made the modem dial 9+1+the area code and number+a long distance billing number to connect. Is it possible that the ISP could be blocking long distance calls to avoid unknowing customers from racking up huge charges??

</font>
    I have done the same thing from across the country. Entered the pauses and prompts to select the appropriate options when navigating an automated calling card system as well. I think it is either the ISP, or you have overlooked something real simple. (Tends to happen time to time with me.) What error is it returning? No dial tone, no answer, etc....

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

iamtheman

Got to agree with Melmac, my travels have taken me all over the place. Sometimes I forget to find a local number to dial before I leave and end up calling long distance to my normal number to get on and find a local one. Shouldn't be a problem and I doubt that the ISP has long distance blocked, most of the time they don't give a rat's a$$ about their customer's phone bills.

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

Thanx all,
    The errors I get are: 1.'You have been disconnected from the computer you dialed'.
    or: 2. 'Line is busy'. Both errors occur right AFTER "verifying user name and password".

Both of them suggest a problem on the ISP
    end ... yes?

iamtheman

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BVD:
    Thanx all,
    The errors I get are: 1.'You have been disconnected from the computer you dialed'.
    or: 2. 'Line is busy'. Both errors occur right AFTER "verifying user name and password".

Both of them suggest a problem on the ISP
    end ... yes?
    </font>
    Well as long as that modem can dial up to a different ISP, chances are the original ISP has some kind of a problem.

------------------

I agree with you iamtheman. Have a couple more thoughts though: Have you tried multiple numbers? Could be a bad modem bank on the one you are calling. And, is long distance, by chance, blocked from your home phone or anything? Can you hear the other modem answering and negotiating a connection? If not, try dialing the ISP number yourself and see if a modem picks up, or if it gives you one the automated error messages. Might be grasping at straws, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Right?

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

n8dawg

just a thougth but, is the isp you are dialing into a local isp there were she lives. maybe they dont let incomeing numbers from out of state

------------------
    Impounded impressions of aggressive democracy see lil need to help poverty/
    A land of freedom? Of wealth? Of justice?
    I fear not for me, but for my children to wake up and see, that I am nothing but a slave
    In modern society

Thanx all,
    I'm still working on it. The latest
    is: My phone definitely CAN dial long distance .. I called the out of state
    ISP and a modem DOES answer.. I DID try
    an alternative # and got the same result .. I'm now waiting to find out if that ISP accepts out of state calls.

Here's a thought: could it be that
    her ISP supports X2 instead of the FLEX modem I installed?
    (I'm grasping at straws too)

LagMonster

There is a chance. YOU never know!
    I don't know the String off hand but you can disable your flex settings and use it as a regular modem. Try the modem section.

It could be that dialing long-distance is introducing a higher level of line-noise, enough that it's causing your modem to not handshake properly. Try bumping the port speed down a notch or two and see if that makes a difference.

------------------
    Somebody set up us the GPF!
    Somebody set up us the GPF!

3fingersalute

You sure her account is still active at the old ISP?

------------------
    Is it because light travels faster than sound that some people appear bright until they speak????

iamtheman

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jayhawk88:
    It could be that dialing long-distance is introducing a higher level of line-noise, enough that it's causing your modem to not handshake properly. Try bumping the port speed down a notch or two and see if that makes a difference.

</font>
    That is a very good point.

------------------