[RESOLVED] CPUs and BIOS

Thread: [RESOLVED] CPUs and BIOS

howiek99

Post CPUs and BIOS

Help! I need some advise!

Not too long ago my PC died because, for some reason, the CPU just quit working. That CPU was an Intel Slot 1 600EMHz 100MHz FSB. It was sitting on a Tyan Trinity 400 S1854 motherboard (using the first release of the BIOS rev. 1.00—the latest is rev. 1.07).

Since I have to replace the CPU (and RAM), I’m wondering if I can install an Intel 933MHz FC-PGA (Flip-Chip) CPU and then FLASH the BIOS to their latest revision which I believe does support the higher speed CPU since their manual indicates settings for the faster CPU. My concern is regarding the voltage for the CPU (600E Slot 1 versus a 933 FC-PGA) and the fact that the BIOS may not recognize the CPU at all because I think the existing BIOS only supported up to a 733MHz CPU.

Note, I checked the motherboard IAW with Tyan’s instructions to verify that it will support a
    (FC-PGA) Flip-Chip Pentium III.

Thanks,

howiek99

Assuming that the CPU fan was working properly, are you sure the CPU is dead?
    I've never seen a dead Intel CPU, caused by natural causes!
    Have you tried it on another machine?

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Even if it doesnt fire up at 933 , you should be able to set it to 7x100 (since the multiplier is the same) , and it should be fine , for the length of time you need it to run just to flsh the bios.

as for alien , i do tend to agree with him , are you sure the board is healthy? I have seen only one intel die , and , while the customer assured me that he hadnt done anything in the case , i found incriminating screwdriver marks on the motherboard. In that case , both the motherboard , and the cpu were fried.

good luck.

PS , i want the old chip if you dont have a use for it
    Life is good...sometimes...

shawnMt

I agree - never seen a PIII die of natural causes. Only one DOA.

------------------
    Paint your old laptop!