to XP or not to XP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: to XP or not to XP

i am running xp on both my hoem an work systems. the work machine is a K6-2/400, owing to a slow hdd it is not real quick but it is stable. My home box is a Duron 800, it runs fine on that
    Life is highway, we all begin and end the same way. But everyones journey it unique

xp runs slow for me (p4 1.5gig) on a couple of things - mainly when playing urban operations (or trying to host) same connection, running win9x i can host a full 16man game (on a slower machine, p3 800mhz) but on the xp machine, i can only host 10 w/o complaints of lag. plus when i'm running 3dsmax & photoshop, photoshop slows down to a crawl...
    Quote the madcow, 'Never Moo'

I bought XP pro just before the binning of last semeter, and i hated it. but after a week of using it, and setting all the interfaces back to classic i noiced drastic improvemnts in performance, less crashes, and developed a feel for the interface.

After exams i dumpde the entire system and installed it as a "OEM" install, rather than the upgrade i had been using. again it needed tweaking to make the pop ups, and prety screens that burn memory go away, but after these adjustments performance was again increased. i must say that after 5 month of running XP Pro i havent has a single application crash that wasent my fault (im taking Computer Sytems Technology which involves alot a programing).

I would sujest taht you change to XP, tweakit to fit you then deside.
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RejectionMan:
    <strong>i must say that after 5 month of running XP Pro i havent has a single application crash that wasent my fault (im taking Computer Sytems Technology which involves alot a programing).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">heh, try doing anything in assembly with XP -- it loves to complain and kill the process (I just found out from the guys at school, XP hates assembly)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by a d e p t:
    <strong>I've been using WinXP on a PII 350 (OC 466) with 768Mb RAM and it works fine. I had Win200 on that before and I can't see the speed difference in favor of Win2000 mentioned previously. It's the opposite in my case.

Why not wait until you get it at work, experiment with it and see if you like it before installing it at home?

Also, I access the administrative tools in WinXP by right-clicking "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", as I did with win2000. That's almost all I need right there, and I've created a shortcut to gpedit.msc on the desktop.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a PII 450 w/ 320mb of ram and from 2000 to XP I see a WORLD of speed difference. It was like night and day - apps take at least 2 times as long to open even though XP properly identified my drives as ata drives which 2000 didn't do (and I can't find the mobo type and drivers to make them run ata in 2000).

Anyway, so far I have seen very, very little that leads me to think in any way that XP is better than 2000. It flakes just as much as soon as you get a few progs on it. It runs like a dog. The interface will drive you mad trying to find how to turn off whatever M$ idiot developers thought was the next kewl way of doing things. I have had to struggle to find several things to set them back to "non idiot" settings. It's maddening at times. The media player blows goats and actually runs slow when 6.4 never did, rendering several of my movies unplayable. I actually get runtime errors from folders that have ever changing contents. Did I mention it's slow as a 1 legged horse?

Still, though it looks like I actually seem to hate this product (I really don't - it's not all bad even though I make it out to be), I am using it and will continue to use it on at least one machine I use frequently as I will be expected to support this product in the future.

I used to dual boot Win2K and Win98 as it seemed I just couldn't get some games to run the way I wanted them with Win2K. Even after hours and hours of tweaking and disabling services, I was never satisfied and kept those programs on my Win98 installation. I've been running WinXP since January, and as others, I hated it at first. But overall now, I really like having the features of Win2K available to me in as well as the gaming performance of Win98 (actually I've seen as good or better performance with stability in most everything I've played). I just don't like the activation thing. For my experiences with it, and reaons others have posted supporting it, I would also recommend trying it out as your primary OS for a few months. I think once you get used to it, you'll be glad you checked it out.

P.S.-I got a really kewl LOTR theme on mine now, I love it. Got rid of the Jelly Bean look.
    <a href="http://www.themexp.org/" target="_blank">http://www.themexp.org/ </a>
    Danyll

If we live in an insane world, how can I be normal if I'm sane?
    "I'm reminded of the immortal words of Socrates who said-'I drank what?'"-Val Kilmer (Real Genius)

At first, I really didn't like Xp when I first got a copy, but everyday, I find more about it that I really like better than 2k or 98. I'll never go back, and I only keep a 98 partition, for a few programs I need for work.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>Win2k is the choice Microsoft option as far as Im concerned. Was very, very unimpressed with XP.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to agree. I have also had some issues with XP on the network, paticularly with sending and recieving e-mails from an external server.

I have XP loaded on one of the spare drives for my laptop, but aside from using it to do phone support for clients I don't touch it.
    The Dragon has left the building.

Well, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install XP sometime tonight -- we're offically testing it here (as a matter of fact, I'm installing it right now on another computer) so I need to know XP like I know 2k.

Grrr...I hate being forced to another OS, but eh well

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Fubarian:
    <strong>Well, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install XP sometime tonight -- we're offically testing it here (as a matter of fact, I'm installing it right now on another computer) so I need to know XP like I know 2k.

Grrr...I hate being forced to another OS, but eh well</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">good luck!
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by /DiR:
    <strong>good luck!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">heh I needed it too -- it bombed on me 4 times before the 5th went though ...so far so good though, had a lil quark with my Audigy (forgot to run the XP driver update) -- and my VNC isn't workin 100% -- other than that, its ok......

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

No, you should send the disk and licence to me
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-