conected...but not
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: conected...but not

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Red face conected...but not

Got a problem here, last night when I was on the internet (dial-up) adn tehn I restartd my pc and then dialed up again, well, I connected, but none of my programs would deetct that I was connected. So, I thought ok soemthing to do with my firewall (blackice defender) so I shut it down adn restarted again. Still teh same. Tried to ping myself and no go, missing icmp.dll so I reinstalled windows adn tried it again, pinged myself and got the results ok, but still no detecting my connection. Removed tcp/ip in the network panel and put it back in, restart still no go. Anyone know what could be causeing my programs not to detect my connection? Even afeter a reinstall
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

i would have shut down completely, walked away, swore a lot, had a drink, come back and gave the machine a severe kicking.

apart from that,i have no sensible suggestions
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

I would guess that it has something to do with Black Ice. I never had good luck with this program, it caused me a lot of the problems that you are experiencing. I'd try uninstalling it and see if that fixes any of yer probs.

Is the icmp.dll now installed? If not - there is certainly no-go... perhaps try to reinstall the whole NIC-sw...
    The cause: donno, but an answer could be an attack where a program tried to change the icmp-stack but didn't succeded to set it up again (don't know of any attack like this though - so don't panic if you're not suspicious)
    ... or BlackICE has a bug to act like this

yes, icmp.dll is there now, and I shut down and then restarted without BI starting and it still does not want to work.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by Higg:
    Is the icmp.dll now installed? If not - there is certainly no-go... perhaps try to reinstall the whole NIC-sw...
    The cause: donno, but an answer could be an attack where a program tried to change the icmp-stack but didn't succeded to set it up again (don't know of any attack like this though - so don't panic if you're not suspicious)
    ... or BlackICE has a bug to act like this
    ]

I dont think that there were any attacks on my system, black ice didnt detect any

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer:
    yes, icmp.dll is there now, and I shut down and then restarted without BI starting and it still does not want to work.
    ... so can you ping? .. for example the localhost 127.0.0.1? That must work if TCP/IP-stack is ok... if not really try to get rid of the whole network and reinstall from scratch

run SFC (if 98) and see if the dll's are corrupt. If not I would try uninstalling dial up networking too

yeah, I can ping, but i still do not get any data, nor will it send, not even the request

You may have an icon for your dial up properties in your taskbar. The little thing that tells you how long you've been on and how much information you've sent and received. When you dial up, does it show your computer is actual receiving or sending information?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Originally posted by godofuq:
    You may have an icon for your dial up properties in your taskbar. The little thing that tells you how long you've been on and how much information you've sent and received. When you dial up, does it show your computer is actual receiving or sending information?

Nope, the little blinky lights arent on..lol
    When I try to access net data of any kind, i get no data sent and none received

Angry

Ok now... so you can ping:

- check your default gateway... is it set, when you dial in? (ipconfig or winipcfg)... if no, check your PPP-connection (you can set ppp-logfile somewhere in the properties of the dial-up) and search for errors (if you can identify them easily
    - ping the default gateway - if it doesn't work, check your network settings... ip-adress/netmask/netlogin=no/LocalLANadresses
    - is a DNS set (again with ipconfig or winipcfg)... if no: do you know an IP-adress to reach? - ping and traceroute this adress...
    - if it works, look for an IP-adress for a DNS-server (normally from your ISP, but you can use any other not beeing behind a firewall) ... ping this one and set it to your DNS-server... does it work now? (then your ISP should explain this to you - their DNS is misconfigured or similar things happened!

I'm gonna un-install my firewall
    and then reinstall windows, if that doesnt work.......FORMAT C:

Any other help would eb appreciated

Radical, I had almost the exact same problem with my PC back in February. You can check out the thread here. I ended up reinstalling (and upgrading to Win98SE in the process) because no matter what I did, I couldn't get any Internet apps to recognize I was connected.

Radical Dreamer made Tech God on this post alone.