AMD Processors TOO HOT WHY? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AMD Processors TOO HOT WHY?

[quote]Originally posted by JungleMan:
    <strong>I agree with Edgecrusher..some people are a little too fanatical with these temperatures. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I find this a bit strange coming from someone who is always going on about cpu temps and how low they should be and is probably the most fanatical regarding cooling with quotes such as 'I want to change my HSF or fan every 5 minutes'

The point I am trying to make is that prior to switching to the new HSF & Coolermaster compound last week, the idle temp of the same CPU was in mid-40C's. Just changing to a better HSF & compound took over 10C off the CPU temp alone.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Exclamation

That CPU I had failing within 2 hours? Any other thoughts on that?

Thought I was being a bit fanatical about my processor so have left it well alone, besides my PC now makes more noise than my works HP Servers.

On another note I have heard from my brother that his CPU failed for no reason. He had an AMD 1.4Ghz and he had been using the PC the night before the failure without problems. The next day when he turned it on, nothing. Replaced the CPU PC worked. Anyone else heard of spontaneous failures? His CPU ran at 42C and was effectively cooled.

The failing of the CPU could have been a number of things including heat, voltage spike, bad chip, etc.

RMA the dead chips most definatly. Also what boards are they running on & PSU amperage outputs, as I noticed that you staed that your PSU is not on teh recommended list.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

I too agree with Edgecrusher. AMD Processors are hot by their nature, it's not really that big of a deal. I used to be fanatical about keeping my temps down in the 30°C, but to tell you the truth, the noise level from the fans in simply not worth it. I will live at 40°C idle and anywhere from 50-60°C when under load.

The question you need to ask yourself Laser is at those temps are you having stability problems? If you are not leave well enough alone. In cooling there are many MANY factors such as your case (is it too big or too deep, cutting down air flow?), your HSF (is it cheap? or quality), the thermal interface you use (using a TIM or paste?), the way you have fan's positioned in your case (any hot spots?)...etc etc. I have a LianLi PC61 with two 80MM fans in front on medium speed, and one 80MM fan in back with my Enermax 431W PS's 80MM and 92MM fan pushing out. I have no problems. I also have two 7200RPM HDD's and a GF3 that produce a large amount of heat.

AMD Processors are not TOO HOT. If you cannot properly manage the heat, than they will be too hot.

Wee Eck:

As Darren said there could be a million reasons why your processor died. I have not heard of this spontaneous AMD death syndrome. I've had two AMD processors (900 and 1.2) and not had any problems. I have also build upwards of 15-20 systems with TBird's and not run into any chips frying like that. So unfortunately I do not have suggestions. Are you using the same HSF on your new processor?

Ö
    Aster
    Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes of less, or we commit Seppuku.

--www.ninjaburger.com--

was just going to check my system temps and to my dismay...the via hardware monitor is not functioning in Win XP. Anybody else had a prob with this and if so, any ideas.
    Don't tell me where to got, they already kicked me out...said I was a bad influence

[quote]Originally posted by Athlon Freak:
    <strong>was just going to check my system temps and to my dismay...the via hardware monitor is not functioning in Win XP. Anybody else had a prob with this and if so, any ideas.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It works here (v2.04 as supplied by Abit with the KT7A-RAID).

Try Motherboard Monitor.

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    <strong>

I find this a bit strange coming from someone who is always going on about cpu temps and how low they should be and is probably the most fanatical regarding cooling with quotes such as 'I want to change my HSF or fan every 5 minutes'

The point I am trying to make is that prior to switching to the new HSF & Coolermaster compound last week, the idle temp of the same CPU was in mid-40C's. Just changing to a better HSF & compound took over 10C off the CPU temp alone.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Darren, don't call me fanatical..the only reason why I keep changing my fan is because it's just too loud. As nice as the PAL 8045 is, and as many bad comments as i've heard from "hardcore overclockers" about the Antec JetCool, I might decide to take your advice on that and be done with it.

[quote]Originally posted by JungleMan:
    <strong>

Darren, don't call me fanatical..the only reason why I keep changing my fan is because it's just too loud. As nice as the PAL 8045 is, and as many bad comments as i've heard from "hardcore overclockers" about the Antec JetCool, I might decide to take your advice on that and be done with it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Scrap the Coolermaster junk though. After a couple of days use, the temps started to go through the roof!!! Coolermaster blamed the HSF, so I scraped it all off and replaced it with a stock Antec thermal pad (bought locally) and lo & behold the temps went right back down again!!!! As far as I am concerned now, Coolermaster can kiss my a$$ if I am ever going to buy any of their crap again

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    <strong>

Scrap the Coolermaster junk though. After a couple of days use, the temps started to go through the roof!!! Coolermaster blamed the HSF, so I scraped it all off and replaced it with a stock Antec thermal pad (bought locally) and lo & behold the temps went right back down again!!!! As far as I am concerned now, Coolermaster can kiss my a$$ if I am ever going to buy any of their crap again </strong><hr></blockquote>

Their cases rule though..friend has an ATC-110 it is sweeeeet

Wasn't planning on using coolermaster compound..

[quote]Originally posted by LaSERCHiPs:
    <strong>Hardware being used

StarTech Copper based Heatsink 5000RPM
    <a href="http://www.startech.com/parts/fans.htm" target="_blank">http://www.startech.com/parts/fans.htm</a> StarTech ID: FAN370CU
    Startech Slot exhaust fan->
    located directly under video card
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

I would strongly using a heatsink which appears on AMD's <a href="http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_756_759^1039^1050,00.html" target="_blank">recommended thermal solutions</a> list for the speed of processor you are running. Startech does not even appear as an approved manufacturer, perhaps they are rebranding someone elses product?

Also be aware when using TIM pads that once you remove the heatsink from the processor (perhaps you were peeking at cpu) the pad will no longer function as originally intended and your thermal transfer performance will have degraded.

Also ensure that your cpu is running at its intended speed and that your motherboard is supplying the processor with the proper voltage, in your case this would be 1.75V. A higher core voltage invariably leads to higher temperatures as transistor will run hotter.

As for the person who quoted 95C as the maximum temperature for the Athlon processor please bear in mind that is the maximum sustainable junction temperature (Tj). The junction in question is located internally inside the die and thus will be operating at a higher temperature than any external probe such as those used in BIOS and software programs will be able to monitor. It is entirely plausible that when your motherboard is reporting 60C the Tj could be 80 or 90C. Palomino based processors include an on-die thermal diode in order to more accurately report temperatures but unfortunately motherboard support has not yet arrived for the diode.

Duron 700
    runs in mid 30's with SETI@Home running......

Thermoengine stock...
    cool and stable

KT7A
    I'd be the village idiot, but that spot is already taken.

Note to self: No-one cares about your system specs

CPU can go up to 120 C wellthats what I read and was told...well this some info (correct or not)
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

No no...the AMD Thunderbird can spike out at 95°C and the Duron at 90°C. Of COURSE these are spikes. In no way could the processor maintain these temps for an extended amount of time and still work. At least not normally, though my friend's fan failed on his SK6 and it ran overnight with no fan...still worked. Go figure.

Ö
    Aster
    Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes of less, or we commit Seppuku.

--www.ninjaburger.com--

LOL, never heard (lately at least) that a AMD could handle a spike. Unless you count the smoke it releases to indicate that it's hot! Oh by the way AMD is retro fitting new production boards to regulate spikes. This "switch" just turns the whole damn thing off if it gets to 85c, I think. Kinda sucks for people that already bought boards for their Gigz. Oh well, that's the way the computer chip crumbles.
    Sofa King Retarded

[quote]Originally posted by Bracius:
    <strong>LOL, never heard (lately at least) that a AMD could handle a spike. Unless you count the smoke it releases to indicate that it's hot! Oh by the way AMD is retro fitting new production boards to regulate spikes. This "switch" just turns the whole damn thing off if it gets to 85c, I think. Kinda sucks for people that already bought boards for their Gigz. Oh well, that's the way the computer chip crumbles.</strong><hr></blockquote>

it all good

thow some water cooling and im back spanking your momma's ***
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/