[RESOLVED] K6-2 upgrades

Thread: [RESOLVED] K6-2 upgrades

SoccerFiend76

Question K6-2 upgrades

I have a question about dropping k6-2s into regular socket7 boards. i know that there is a company making conversion kits (including cpus)but for $269US ( I am in Canada) I am better off witha new board/cpu case)

I came accross an overclocker web page that said that you can set the multiplyer on the board to 2 and the k6-2 400 would internally remap it as 6x given a 66Mhz FSB provided that your board supported 2.2 V. Is this correct?

This is mainly curiosity as my i430TX board is running a 233MMX at 83Mhz FSB (total 292)
    I am basically asking for opinions as I have never actually had to deal with AMD chips (except the girlfriends 2nd computer, a K5166) Also what is a good k6-2 k6-3 mainboard combo If the chip can't be dropped into my current board? I can port all of my existing hardware (ram is pc100) to a new m-board if necesary.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers

GBJ

Darren Wilson

Rather than risk frying the chip ( as few i430TX based boards actually went down this low on the voltage ) and running your chip slower than what it is marked ( the only chips that I know of, that will internally remap themselves are the PII, PIII, & Celeron as they are multiplier locked unlike AMD chips ) and will run at set speed whatever that may be.

I would change the board to something like a Gigabyte GA5-AX which will take the K6-3 also.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????
    visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited July 31, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited July 31, 1999).]

Geos

I have a FIC 503+ mother board with a K6-2 400 and have had great results with both types of memory and a wide range of cards. You should be able to get both for under $150 (USA).

Boatista

AMD K6-2s, 350 and up, are all to be run at 100 mghrz. They will not be nice to you, if you do not oblige this one demand.
    Best AT form factor 100 mghrz board (with 1 megabyte cache) FIC 503+. Best ATX form factor motherboard (with up to two megs of cache) FIC PA-2013.
    Both these boards will handle up to 726 megabytes of PC-100 sdram, and all of the AMD processors (K6, K6-2 and K6-III) as well as all Intel, Cyrix, and IBM chips, from 166mmx to 475 mghrz. Cost: @$99.
    This board runs the VIA chipset, however, and several patches are needed, depending on what O/S you are using. Most come with the motherboards. Others must be obtained from the pertaining web-sites. AMD K6-2 350 and up patch, for instance, must be obtained at Microsoft's web-site.

chemwiz

Hate to disagree about the best board, but I think anything with the Ali-V chipset is better than a Via MVP-3. Easier setup, much more reliable, at least in my experience. Asus P5A or P5A-B boards are the most compatible I've found, never had a card that wouldn't work with them, but I had a lot of problems with the MVP-3 boards (mostly Shuttle, maybe that was the problem).

Shuttle may have been the prob. I use nothin but EPoX and talk about easy set-up! Not to mention Keyboard Power on.Life can be good.

b_fleury

Just want to agree with the P5A guy. These boards are the best around.