RAID100?

Thread: RAID100?

Post RAID100?

I am looking into a new mb and have chose between MSI 6380 lite and MSI 6380 PRO the onlt difference is that the pro has RAID100.What exactly is it and will i need two drives for it? please help!

Thanks
    Ty....

Redundant Array(s) of Independant Disk drives(RAID).

Raid is a method of ensuring the data integrety, by using like it says independant disks to duplicate important info. So yes for raid you need at least two disks.

If you want to know more read here

http://www.raid-advisory.com/

My guess is that since you didn't know what it was you don't need it, but if you have critical data to protect then maybe you'd better learn....

okay i see, but with IDE raid100 which come with most new motherboards, will both of the drives have to be the same size. For example I have a 30gig drive and a 5 gig drive, will this work?? or is there a option on these new boards not to use raid??
    Ty....

[quote]Originally posted by Ty909:
    okay i see, but with IDE raid100 which come with most new motherboards, will both of the drives have to be the same size. For example I have a 30gig drive and a 5 gig drive, will this work?? or is there a option on these new boards not to use raid??

for best results they should be the same size. it CAN Be done with different sizes...but i wouldn't recommend it

Some boards, i'd say most, let you use the RAID controllers as ATA/100 controllers, but they must be used for HDDs only.

RAID arrays DO NOT HAVE TO USE DRIVES OF THE EXACT SAME SIZE & SPECS.

But believe me, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you get 2 of the EXACT SAME drives. This makes the array much more reliable and stable, and it will perform a lot better.

Cobra is partially right. You can put a 30GB and a 5GB in a RAID 0 array, but it will only show as a 10GB array (using lowest value).