[RESOLVED] Code 12 and Win2K... HELP!!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Code 12 and Win2K... HELP!!!

speedyme

Resolved [RESOLVED] Code 12 and Win2K... HELP!!!

While attempting to reinstall my network card (SMC1211TX) Win2k detects it as a REALTEK network card and gives the Code 12 Error indicating that there are no resources available for the card.

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)

Even trying to do so does not solve the problem. I believe it may be because of the BIOS settings for PNP, however, I am not sure which ones need changing.

I have formatted and reinstalled Win2k to attempt to solve the issue, but no success, which further points it to the BIOS settings.

Try moving the card to a different PCI socket to force Windows to redect it and have the SMC drivers ready to install when it asks for them.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Also try using the Realtek drivers directly. If USB is turned on in the BIOS but you're not using any USB devices turn it off, and see if it works. It sounds like you don't have any free IRQs left. You can also try letting the BIOS assign IRQs instead of windows, if you're not doing that already. In the BIOS you should have a setting called OS is plug an play compliant or something like that. Make sure it's set to no.

speedyme

I have already repositioned the card to another PCI slot with the same result.

Using the SMC Drivers doesn't work because it recommends the REALTEK driver and installs that one. However, Code 12 appears as the reason for the device not working properly.

I have also tried diabling the USB IRQ setting as well as turning off the PNP OS feature.

I can't remember whether I have changed both settings concurrently or not... I will give it another go.

Do you have the latest version of your BIOS? I had that same error with USB port and Microsoft recommend Updating the BIOS and it work.
    Remember a nice and kind user must be up to something

speedyme

I changed BIOS settings (I already have the latest BIOS version).

Even removed sound card and SCSI card to free up PCI and IRQ resources (NIC only card along with AGP card in machine) and still the same problem.

There must be one setting in the BIOS that is incorrect. Which one is anyone's guess.

I have gone through and modified most settings... it is probably the most obscure one's that are the problem (e.g. PCI IDE Map IRQ to: xxxx, etc).

speedyme

Angry

Well, it seems like it was the network card that was causing the problems.

I replaced it with 2 different 3Com NIC's and the BIOS picked them up fine, and so did Win2K.

Upon performing a format of the system and a clean install of Win2K, The entire setup goes fine... until it starts Win2k for the first time, whereby it crashes just over half way of the blue progress indicator (Startup) screen.

Everything else seems fine, it detects all other installed cards, but when starting Windows 2000 Pro for the first time, it hangs on the blue progress indicator. (At the 11th bar to be exact).

Please help!!!

Press F8 during bootup, and choose Boot with Log. Then boot in safe mode and examine the log...
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

speedyme

Sure, I will give that a try, however, I have previously tried to boot in safe mode with no success.

Hopefully the log will help us out.

I tend to get into lots of situations like this. I am in the MCSE cert class right now, and I use my boxes at home to set up and break down a small home network (3 computers running Win2K Pro, Server, and Win98). I am constantly changing BIOS settings and resource settings, reformatting, and fdisking (probably about once or twice a day.) I'm getting the old BSOD every time I turn around, as a result of all the different things I fool with while learning about them. Here's what I do when I get in a real bind: Win2000 doesn't trust the BIOS at all. It will not allow any programs on your system to access any hardware directly (i.e. through your BIOS). Anytime a program tries this, Win2K will either lock up, or give you an error message and shut that program down. Many times, this is what is causing your big problems like constant uninitiated reboots, STOP errors, and resource conflicts. If nothing else has worked, follow these steps: 1.Boot with Dos/Win98 floppy. 2. Fdisk, remove all partitions (Win98 FDISK can remove only *PRIMARY* NTFS partitions, so before you begin, make sure you don't have any extended NTFS partitions. 3. Shut off computer, and clear your CMOS by switching the jumper on the motherboard. Leave that jumper there for about 2 minutes or so, then switch it back. Turn on your computer. You should get a message that says "CMOS checksum incorrect" or something like that. This is the message that you want. Just hit F1 or whatever the message tells you hit to continue going. 4. Go into your BIOS, and on the main page, restore SETUP defaults. Do not change anything else (no matter how much you may want to ;-)) 5. Reinstall Win2K. If you still have a problem after this, it is 1 of two things a)Bad CPU/motherboard (not likely given that you just got this stuff) b)Bad memory (If you didn't use a static discharge wrist thing, you may have inadvertantly zapped your memory when you installed it!!) Do not change any BIOS settings after Win2K has been installed. True there are many settings that can be changed that won't actually affect the OS kernel, but stay on the safe side, and unless you have a really really really good reason to change anything in BIOS from factory to something else - don't. Oh, and of course you could have corrupted copies of your install disks for win2k, win98, and winme <shrugs>
    Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're
    maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public. - Eric Raymond

speedyme

Originally posted by ShadowKing:
    Press F8 during bootup, and choose Boot with Log. Then boot in safe mode and examine the log...
    Sounds like a great idea, however, after enabling boot logging, it still won't boot up in safe mode.

Any other suggestions?

In the meantime I will attempt to reformat and install Win2k with the basic BIOS settings.

speedyme

Problem Solved... for now.

I decided to let the Win2k Startup sit there while I went away for a few minutes.

After about 5 minutes, the startup process kicked off again and completed its task.

It seemed to take an eternity (5 minutes is a long time staring at a blue bar that doesn't move!)... but it finally booted into Win2K.

It detected all of the hardware fine, and I connected to my DSL connection fine.

Upon restart, I fiddled with the HDD Block mode setting and that seemed to let it boot as before.

Thanks for all your help everyone.