Athalon cooler and upgrade advice

Thread: Athalon cooler and upgrade advice

Talking Athalon cooler and upgrade advice

I am going to upgrade from P3 800, 512 pc133
    and asus P3V4X to a Abit KG7-RAID, AMD 1.4 and 2 crucial 256 mb ddr PC200.
    QUESTION IS, I have never built an Athalon,
    I wan't a good cooler, any suggestions, do I need something between cpu and cooler?any tps I might need for this setup would be appreciated.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Tons of good AMD cooler threads in the AMD topic area. Check em out. Personally, I prefer the Global Win coolers on AMD. Work great. You may also want to check into some case fan tips in that section.
    If I had a hammer...

Cool

I've always found Taisol to be a good manufacturer. Check on the AMD website, they list all compatable hardware and manfacturers.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

AMD systems are a bit touchy when it comes to hardware..

make sure you check AMD's site fro approved mobo's, PSU and CPU coolers for you CPU..

also pair it with quality RAM and hardware..

in short- cheapos cost a lot of money (time and hassels) in the bottom line

Since you are running on the P3V4X, you should have little trouble swapping parts and getting the computer up and running. Going Via to Via chipsets is a pretty easy upgrade as I did one myself a few months ago. Athlons run hot, so make sure you've got good coolers and plenty or air movement through the case. Check the airflow from the heatsink and fan too. Mine was originally an inch away from and blowing into the side of my powersupply when I put it on. So, I went out and found a heatsink and fan combo that blew the air parallel to the motherboard. That increased airflow and dropped the operating temp by about 5 degrees. Since it isn't a really good HSF, I had to add another fan to help aiflow some more and drop another 5 degrees. The temperature was a killer for me, so make sure you've got good airflow. I switched from a P3V4x running a Celeron 466 to a DFI AK-75ec running an athlon 1GHz.
    God is all knowing, I am just human.