UPS Problem

Thread: UPS Problem

Post UPS Problem

At work we have two UPS both by apc, that have been acting up. One is a SmartUPS 1000 and the other is a Backup-UPS Pro 420.

Once every day or every other day they start beeping for a couple minutes. With the messenger service the SmartUPS spits out an error saying that the batteries are discharged, and then after the beeping it spits out another message saying that normal power has returned.

The UPSs only have a single computer hooked up to them plus a couple miscellaneous things, dsl modem, monitor, etc.

Although everything seems to be working fine, the servers have remained up and running, im afraid that when we do have a power outage that there will be problems. If the things are hosed could anyone recommend a rackmountable UPS with the ability to shut down up to 4 PCs.

Thanks in advance
    You mean something broke and you didn't break it? ~ ZIM
    I know I'm scared too. ~ GIR

If you want to test the UPS's, just unplug them from the wall outlet and see if the load on them keeps going. It's possible that you're experiencing a power sag, maybe because of the power company, maybe because somebody is firing up a photocopier or other large appliance nearby? Have you consulted APC's website for troubleshooting info or an updated status utility?

Hey mods could we move this to Tech-to-tech.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>If you want to test the UPS's, just unplug them from the wall outlet and see if the load on them keeps going. It's possible that you're experiencing a power sag, maybe because of the power company, maybe because somebody is firing up a photocopier or other large appliance nearby? Have you consulted APC's website for troubleshooting info or an updated status utility?</strong><hr></blockquote>
    Just finished looking on the web-site and looked over the manual. I believe you may be right about the power sag condition since that scenario seems to fit.

I downloaded the new utility and will apply that when everyone leaves the office. Although that is most likely unrelated to the problem, but why not.

How long does a UPS's battery normally last??? Just to see if maybe the things getting on and needs replacement. If the battery requires replacement then it may just be a better idea to scrap the thing and get a new UPS. If so any recommendations on one that can do shutdowns for up to 4 computers??? are there any other supplies needed???

And to Gollo I apologize if this seems off-topic for the networking board. Since UPS are mainly used in server rooms I figured it would be appropriate.
    You mean something broke and you didn't break it? ~ ZIM
    I know I'm scared too. ~ GIR

[quote]Originally posted by homeostasis81:
    <strong>
    And to Gollo I apologize if this seems off-topic for the networking board. Since UPS are mainly used in server rooms I figured it would be appropriate.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Although this may be true they have nothing to do with networking. Anything that doesn't clasify as one of the forum topics (video, network, etc.) should be posted in the tech-to-tech. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert