Question about VPN on W2K Server

Thread: Question about VPN on W2K Server

Post Question about VPN on W2K Server

I have multiple network across our organizations. They all are on different networks, yet have their own IP's for each network. ie. 170.140.x.x at one location, 168.x.x.x at another. Each location has a server with an IP, not DHCP, static. I want to setup the server's as a VPN server, the MS article explains you need two NICS, one to the outside and the other to your local network. All other computers also have static IP's, therefore it is not like some little LAN in an office, each workstataion and server is connected with static IP's. How can I configure VPN in this environment? Do I really need two NICS? Hope I have described well enough for you to visualize or conceptualize the setup here. Please help. Thanks

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by tbettend:
    <strong>the MS article explains you need two NICS, one to the outside and the other to your local network.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">If your confusion is whether you need two NICS on your SERVER, then I don't believe that's what MS means. Both ends -- client _and_ server -- need connection points which is what they mean by "two NICs."

I believe you can add VPN to any NIC installed in a system. Unless your connection is not over the Internet but something else.

Where is this article you mentioned?

Cheers,

Mike...
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

This is the article form microsoft:

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/view/tn.asp?kb=300434" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/view/tn.asp?kb=300434</a>

I think what youre looking to do is called router to router VPN. There's a pretty good example in the help file of RRAS in Wk2server, open the rras mmc, then rt clik and choose help then type in PPTP VPN, then read thru the topics listed, it should help a lot........
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Windows 2000 doesn't do routing on a stick (routing from one interface). Using your servers as your VPN backbone adds more services to a single point of failure.

How many users do you have?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Trying to connect two networks. Each location has a server with W2K Server, which I want to create a VPN server on. Users at each location share files that must be up to date, and where no two users can make changes concurrently, such as a database. Users already have independent connections to the internet and their own network, not going through DHCP or anything like that. I want users to be able to create a VPN connection on their local computers and connect to the VPN server, thus connecting to that specific network. Not too many users, 10 max at each site. But need no more than 3 or 4 connections available at any one time. Whats the best way?