Can anyone help?

Thread: Can anyone help?

Post Can anyone help?

Just lately I have been getting a blank screen with the message "Write Fault Error Writing Device AUX Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail" its a maxtor drive ran powermax and did the factory re-cert test ok, seems to happen when using explorer connected to the net, any ideas?

You get this error after windows is up and running use Internet explorer or during Boot?
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

Windows is up and so far its only happened when I have been running Explorer, it doesn't seem to have a pattern of when its happening the only thing that I can say is that its been doing when using the net. my system is no different since almost a year ago apart from upgrading to 512mb from 256mb ram on a Abit SH6 mobo.

The AUX device is your first com port, usually COM1. Assuming Win 9x, check in Device Manager if any com port has a yellow exclamation mark, if so remove the port and click refresh to see if this cures it.

Other possibilities: The abort/retry/fail is a real mode error message, so check autoexec.bat and config.sys for un-necessary drivers that could access the com port, eg If your mouse is on com1, don't load a DOS mouse driver.

Try your modem on a different com port, the serial controller may be developing a fault, or if the modem is an internal Winmodem, it may have a problem, either hardware fault or driver.

Since it happens in IE, try clearing the file cache, someone may have forgotten AUX is a reserved name and called a file aux and the system is trying to write it to the com port.

Have you checked for viruses lately?

Hope this may help.