XP and Visiontek GeForce 2 MX 400

Thread: XP and Visiontek GeForce 2 MX 400

Post XP and Visiontek GeForce 2 MX 400

I have the card listed in the subject line.

I have gone to visiontek's site and downloaded the latest drivers.

I am still having the same problem. I will be doing something and all of the sudden my computer will restart. People have told me (on here) that this could be do to the drivers with this card.

I updated and I am still getting random restarts. It seems to happen when having several windows open in IE6.

HELP!

(please)
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Yes it is a problem with the video drivers, try using the nvidia referance drivers, they are usually the same thing without the manufacturers logo
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Radical Dreamer:
    <strong>Yes it is a problem with the video drivers, try using the nvidia referance drivers, they are usually the same thing without the manufacturers logo</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree. Download the drivers from nvidia.

I will do that, also I bought a thermaltake Volcano 7 CPU Cooler and Heatsink.

I think it may also be caused by high temps in my case.

I will let you all know.

Thanks

I had the exact same problem a couple months ago with a GF 2 GTS/PRO and updating the drivers fixed it. Also had a friend with the same problem which was fixed by the same thing
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Radical Dreamer:
    <strong>I had the exact same problem a couple months ago with a GF 2 GTS/PRO and updating the drivers fixed it. Also had a friend with the same problem which was fixed by the same thing</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok I put in the fan, surprising enough, it lowered my CPU temp by 20 degrees! It is a little noisy but it is well worth it.

Anywho, going now to update drivers.

Thanks.

might want to see if there is a firmware update for the video card.

The geforce2 gts/pro and MX had one a while back

I have a smiliar problem, my visiontek card works fine in ME and linux but in XP I get errors ranging from random reboots and lock ups (only in directx/opengl applications) The problem behind this is all of my cards were asigned to IRQ 11. Visiontk cards need their own IRQ to function properly (according to their tek support, get it?, tek, visiontek, ah nevermind) Hope this gives you some insight.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Lanimilbus:
    <strong>I have a smiliar problem, my visiontek card works fine in ME and linux but in XP I get errors ranging from random reboots and lock ups (only in directx/opengl applications) The problem behind this is all of my cards were asigned to IRQ 11. Visiontk cards need their own IRQ to function properly (according to their tek support, get it?, tek, visiontek, ah nevermind) Hope this gives you some insight.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree, I had this problem when I installed a GF 4 Ti 4400 and a NIC at the same time and didnt reboot after each was installed, they shared IRQ and it would work fine till you tried to run OpenGL games but direct 3d were somewhat OK. No amount of changing IRQ's around would fix it so I ended up doing a reinstall of XP

See my problem exists from install, I've been all around with this issue, I either loose the ability to auto shutdown my PC and disable ACPI or loose the ability to play games. My end solution is always stick with ME and Linux, but for some reason about once a month I get the desire for that fisher price desktop and I play the same game again. It must be time for my XP period...

I have been having the same rebooting problem with my geforce2 also and have tried every driver update with no luck. My question is what is the best way to go about changing he IRQ for my video card in WinXP Pro. Right now everything is assigned to 11 (vid, sound, modem, nic)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Vidar:
    <strong>I have been having the same rebooting problem with my geforce2 also and have tried every driver update with no luck. My question is what is the best way to go about changing he IRQ for my video card in WinXP Pro. Right now everything is assigned to 11 (vid, sound, modem, nic)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have tried the manual change route, and no matter how much I changed them, nothing fixed it except a fresh install

I have formated and reinstalled 3 times now and it still keeps crashing no matter what drivers I use, everything is up to date including BIOS. This is the last trick i have yet to try. The annoying part is it works fine under 98, but not XP.

I had the same issue awhile back without the random reboots. The system would do a HARD LOCK when playing D3D games.

The problem lies with some sort of incompatibility with the SB Live / NVidia Chipset and WinXP.

I replaced my SB Live with a Zoltrix Pro 6 with a Cmi chipset (which does everything the live does) and the problem was immediatley resolved.

I would try and take the sound card out completely and see where that gets you.
    System Specs
    ------------------------------------------------
    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

512MB PC2100 DDR RAM,

Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400,

TDK 48X24X48 CD/RW

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nytiger73:
    <strong>I would try and take the sound card out completely and see where that gets you.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tired that and it still locks up or reboots from games. Ran it with only the vid card in and still locks. I see Nvidia just released some new drivers on the 11th. downloading now and will try those out. -- using 29.42 it still crashes when try loading a game.