NTFS or Fat32
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NTFS or Fat32

Post NTFS or Fat32

Should I convert to NTFS or stay with Fat32? I dont know if i will have problems with XP but if I do will I be able to go back and reinstall Windows 98? If I have problems I do not want to be stranded with a file system I cant get rid of. Is there a way to convert back to NTFS?

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

I converted to NTFS and glad I did. You can keep FAT32 and once you know your not going to have a problem you can convert to NTFS within WinXP without loosing your data. But the easiest is just to choose NTFS at the initial phase. Also pay close attention to the XP hardware compatible program. It will tell you what to expect from your hardware. I ran the program from the XP before I did the install and I downloaded a new keyboard driver and camera driver before I started. The only other driver I had to download was for my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. The program didn't tell me about that one. Hope this helps!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

NTFS- better file protection

Back when I was running Win2K Pro, I made the conversion to NTFS. Even though a lot of people saying it's slower, I actually noticed a 5-10 FPS increase in a few games such as Black & White, Undying (UT engine), and NASCAR 4. I haven't bothered to check it under XP, but I still stick with NTFS.

Another difference, you will be forced to use NTFS on drives larger than 32Gigs in the Windows XP setup. If your hard drive is that large and unpartitioned and unformated.
    So plan and partition accordingly if you wish to keep Fat32.

[quote]Originally posted by Toppro:
    <strong>NTFS- better file protection</strong><hr></blockquote>
    yeah if mashine is in LAN or runing some server like IIS...
    for home use i preffer FAT32

But another question i have is: Could i just delete the NTFS partition and return to FAT32 if i had to?

Another difference, you will be forced to use NTFS on drives larger than 32Gigs in the Windows XP setup. If your hard drive is that large and unpartitioned and unformated.
    So plan and partition accordingly if you wish to keep Fat32.

Hey DVader I have a 60Gb HDD and just installed with fat32??
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

I use xp @ home, but use NTFS. I find that Windows runs much faster, especially copying large files. I guess it's just more efficient than fat32. I spend a lot of time copying stuff around my hard drive, and appreciate the speed boost. I also don't dual boot w/ 98 so i don't need the fat32 compatibility convienince. I'd suggest fat32 if you dual boot, otherwise go NTFS.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

[quote]Originally posted by Mike658:
    <strong>But another question i have is: Could i just delete the NTFS partition and return to FAT32 if i had to?</strong><hr></blockquote>

As long as you don't need any of the information on the partition all's you have to do is fdisk it or use some other program that can erase partitions.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

[quote]Originally posted by C0NF0RTY:
    <strong>
    yeah if mashine is in LAN or runing some server like IIS...
    for home use i preffer FAT32</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why??? With FAT32 there is a greater overhead which translates to more of the drive being used up because of it, especially if you are using large drives. Also, NTFS is slightly self repairing, FAT32 is not, NTFS less prone to fragmentation than FAT16/32. On top of that you also have increased file security, which is a good thing wether or not you are on a lan.
    But my question is what are the benefits with FAT32 that lead you to prefer that at home rather than NTFS? And don't take this as a flame, it's meant to be a question, no more no less.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

[quote]Hey DVader I have a 60Gb HDD and just installed with fat32??<hr></blockquote>

Hmmmm... I though Fat32 had a 32 gig limit. Consider yourself fortunate. Windows XP wouldn't even list Fat32 as an option on my newly partioned 37gig drive. Anyone know why?

Actually, FAT32 has a theoretical 2 Terrabyte limit, if I remember correctly. Been a while since I read the MS propaganda about it...

EDIT: Just checked the MS Knowledge base to satisfy my own curiosity, and relating to XP & 2K, I found this:

[quote]You cannot format a volume larger than 32 GB in size using the FAT32 file system in Windows 2000. The Windows 2000 FastFAT driver can mount and support volumes larger than 32 GB that use the FAT32 file system (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create one using the Format tool. This behavior is by design. If you need to create a volume larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system instead.
    <hr></blockquote>

The complete article can be found <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q184006" target="_blank">here</a>

It appears as though you can creat a larger, usable, bootable FAT32 partition thru Win98 or ME, or a 3rd party tool like Partition Magic, but why would you want to? NTFS is far superior.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Eevryone talks about the benifits of NTFS, but what are the downsides other than the obvious not being able to share with FAT32
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

My 0.02

NTFS is great for security, but unless you are absolutely sure you have no hardware glitches, I wouldn't convert.

Better to be safe then sorry.

It would hurt to try them both on different harddrives and see which one performs better for your needs.
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....