Strange goings on!

Thread: Strange goings on!

Post Strange goings on!

Just installed winxp pro on a fresh partition on one of my hard drives so that I can triple boot between win93se, win2k and winxp.Winxp install went smoothly, recognized all devises and installed all drivers without asking for driver files or disks.But....now here's the problem. None of the "update" or "reinstall" buttons work in Devise Manager. I need to update my video drivers for the 3dfx Voodoo3 vid card and my Hauppauge tv tuner card. I have tried everything from uninstalling the drivers, running hardware wizard, etc. Winxp keeps reinstalling its drivers without allowing me to choose where the driver files are coming from. Even Windows Update can't install these drivers. Does anyone know what's going on here!
    Thanks,
    Paul

Sounds like your user account you login with on the Welcome screen may not be a administrator account. See if loging in as administrator makes a difference in letting you change drivers.

Also, I'm not sure where to find it but, there is a settings page that controls how and what drivers get installed (ie don't allow uncertified drivers to be installed) Try finding that page and see if something is not enabled there. Maybe it is on a tab you get when right clicking on the My Computer icon and chooseing Properties?!?!?!

Not sure why you got a triple boot going on, but this can make you experience all sorts of problems after time has gone by. My advice is to stick with 1 os per hd.

If you are not in a domain and are getting the Welcome Screen, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice to get a standard logon box. Change the user name to Administrator and log on. You will then be able to change drivers and chose file locations.

Good luck,

Mike

I am logged in with full administrative rights. I even checked in Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy that I am granted the right to "Load and unload devise drivers".That is what is so very weird...WinXP DOES support 3dfx and Hauppauge WinTV Tuner cards. There are even updated drivers for both of these devises available via "Windows Update"...I just can't install them! Windows update will download the drivers...but the installation fails. As I said, if I try to update the drivers manually, the "update Drivers" button located in the drivers tab in devise manager will not work. Also on the Hauppauge site there are new drivers and applications specifically for WinXP. I can download them, but I cannot install them. If I hit the "update Drivers" button on any other drivers tab in devise manager, the "Update Devise Driver Wizard" box opens up, except for these two devises. Very, very weird, very very frustrating.
    Paul

Anyone else want want to give some imput here.Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Paul

Talking

All fixed...I re-booted with the WinXp disk and chose the option to reinstall to repair a prior installation. Also, in the BIOS, I changed the option to have plug & play controlled by the operating system and not the motherboard. All went smooth, and at first boot the install wizard recognized the TV card and the Voodoo 3 card, windows update installed the drivers that were needed. All setting were retained and I did not have to reinstall any software. I was quite impressed with how XP handled all of this. Thanks to those of you who tried to help.
    Paul