Data Access Pages???

Thread: Data Access Pages???

Post Data Access Pages???

Hi,

Ive set up a data access page for a database made in Access 2000. I have that database in a web folder, so its accessible from the web.

What i want to know is, can i move the database file elsewhere so that people dont have to access the wwwroot folder when ever they need to edit it? I would like it to be saved on a shared drive, which it was in the first place. Is there anyway to make itpoint to here instead.

Thanks

Myth aka Myth
    Micro$oft: Bad Command or Filename

The simple answer is yes. If you use IiS, simply selct properties for the folder (Through the MMC that goes with IiS, for some reason I can't remember its name!!!), and set the soure for the data to be wherever you want.

However, I don't see what you will achieve. It doesn't matter where the database resides, it will always be the live source of data, so whether it is in wwwroot or \\anotherbox\\shared drive\sharedfolder, it will still be the live source. What's the problem with the data source being in wwwroot? Would it be a better idea for you just to set up shortcuts from Admin boxes to access and amend the data? Or make the app a bac-end database? But of course, probably the most efficient solution would be to use SQL server (again this can be anywhere on the network), but that, as they say, is a different story!

Good luck

ok, i got it to point to the wwwroot ok. everything seemed fine, for a while....you could edit and add rescords just fine on the data access page from a web browser, BUT, when you open up the original access database file, the changes ARE NOT MADE!!! How do i make it so if you amend the data access page, it also amends the access database file (that you open in access 2000)????

thanks

myth

ok, forget that last reply,

how do i use mysql server with a database then?

I don't know what limitations are in MySql server!

But SQL servers are normall quite intuitive when setting up links in and out, which is done through ODBC. You define the data source (User, System etc)and in effect make a connection using a "friendly" name. Someone else might help you better.

Another way is to use FrontPage to generate .asp pages. Again, plonk the database in a folder, follow the instructions when creating a database access page.

Most problems with data not updating are due either to the fields not being mapped correctly, OR permissions being wrong on the necessary ADO folders on the server machine. MS knowledge base has a "how-to" guide showing exactly which folders need "Everyone" permissions, but I can't remember the article number.

We use FrontPage for our Company knowledge base, and given no-one changes the underlying permissions set when IiS installs, all works fine.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck

ok, thanks. ive already given up on sql. looking at asp.

thanks anyway

myth

If you want to develop your data inter-connectivity, I wouldn't give up on SQL! Depenfs where you want to end up, but I think it's worth the effort, especially if you want things like collaboration on your web site, discussion pages, and collaboration on projects on the Intranet.

If you start with FrontPage and .asp, the advantage you'll find is that the app writes all your html and .asa (global scripts) for you, and you can then view them to see what is happening. Good way to learn!

Mail me if you think I can help at all.