[RESOLVED] SOYO 6BA+ 100 motherboard/shutdown issue

Thread: [RESOLVED] SOYO 6BA+ 100 motherboard/shutdown issue

Ztodd

Red face SOYO 6BA+ 100 motherboard/shutdown issue

Running Soyo 6ba 100+ with p3-450, 128 ram, ati rage lt graphics, quantum lct 10 ultra 66 hard drive. all latest drivers, windows 98se. when system shuts down it corrupts registry and/or hard drive. have reloaded windows 98se many times and had to use quantums data eraser to rebuild drive once, disabled fast shutdown in windows. Seems ok if just restart. Only happens on shutdown. so i have to restart, enter setup, and shutdown from there to turn off. any ideas would be helpful..soyos help is useless. seems like machine shuts down before windows finishes saving everything.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

there is an issue with very fast pentiums and certain hard drives where data is lost because the machine shuts down to fast, but that doesn't sound like your problem. I would look to the memory as the culprit.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Ztodd

Question

thanks for the suggestion...I have pc100 sdram...are you saying I should supect that...you think there is a problem with it that may be only causing a shutdown issue...TZ

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Most of the registry corruption errors lead back to memory. I read a MS article on this as to the reason, looked for but can't find it again.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Ztodd

Question

Thanks techs...I have other memory I can try...I also tried windows 98 shutdown supplement which has not corrupted the registry or drive yet but has hung up on shut down...it was however the first time I have ever even seen the shutdown spalsh screen with this board...it seems to shutdown so fast..the hourglass cursor is still showing when it shuts down...when it hung and I restarted it ran scandisk of course but seemed ok after that..this is a least better than a corrupted registry or drive...I am at a loss so far...will try different dimms...had these dimms on an asus p3bf though and they seemed OK...TZ