How Many Techs
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Many Techs

Post How Many Techs

How many of you have noticed an increase in the amount of new hard drives that are going bad within a short period of being installed?

My experience is with WD and Maxtor's, and I have had more new drives go bad this year than in the previous 10 years.

No... I'm not looking for another Drive manufacturer, just wondering if it is me, or if they're putting out drives that aren't as reliable.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

I'm noticing a large amount of hardware dying young, not just hard disks.

Just don't build em like they used to.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

I just sent back my 4th motherboard to Gateway in the last 3 weeks.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

friend of mine sent back 5 mobos ...only because he put 3.3v AGPs in a 1.5v only mobo hehe

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    I have 3 18GB IBM SCSI drives. I just did my second RMA on one of them. My parents' hard drive, however, is an 8.4GB Samsung DMA33 that's been in use for about 2 years, and even survived a house fire.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Originally posted by Fubarian
    friend of mine sent back 5 mobos ...only because he put 3.3v AGPs in a 1.5v only mobo hehe
    I don't get why this would hurt the mobo.. the mobo gives out the voltage.. if the card isn't getting enough, That should hurt the card not the mobo..

But as to HD's yeah.. I think we're at the edge of this tech level..
    Though i REALLY like the new seagates that have the chewy liquid center.. Very fast and VERY quite...
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

Quality checks and hardware testing isnt getting better at the shot about 50 % of Maxtors over 40 Go went bad after a month. Same for IBM's and Westerns. Dont even mention Fujitsu, every bloody drives over 20 Go we sold died and then the took out the desktop HDD division went down..

Even Mobos, cpu and Ram seem cheaper
    If it aint broken dont fix it..I should realy start doing that

Originally posted by -Senectus-

I don't get why this would hurt the mobo..
    I haven't found out exactly why, but it happens.

Transcript from very loud notice that came with my GA-8IG:

Read First!

When you installing AGP card, please make sure the following notice is fully understood and practiced.

If your AGP card has "AGP 4X notch", please make sure your AGP card is AGP 4X (1.5V).

Do not use AGP 2X card (3.3V) in this motherboard. It will burn and damage the motherboard due to Intel 845(E/G)/Intel 850(E) chipset can't support AGP 2X (3.3V).

I wont touch WDs any more. Ive had three go belly up on me recently - each sent to OnTrack or Vogon for recovery. Not one was succesful due to total meltdown or very few HDDs in the batch to break for parts. Both recovery companies are very wary of WDs. Fujitsu the same. M***ive failure rates.
    I now try to stick to Samsung Spinpoints since I discovered how good Samsung support is if you have a problem. They bend over backwards, and on the odd occasion ive had to RMA (im only a small business) its been quick and painless.
    I worry about failures now we have hit really big sizes and multiple platters. No one will really entertain data recovery on them because of the complexity, and as Rifleman states, failure rates seem to be getting worse not better.

Originally posted by Outcoded
    I'm noticing a large amount of hardware dying young, not just hard disks.

Just don't build em like they used to.
    My thoughts exactly, and its not just computers.

With cel phones, they're crap compared to what they used to be.

I guess everyone is more concerned about cutting costs than coming out with a good product.
    (Perfect example: Intel --- nothing is as good as the 496DX-2 66 was...)
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Originally posted by Draggar

My thoughts exactly, and its not just computers.

With cel phones, they're crap compared to what they used to be.

I guess everyone is more concerned about cutting costs than coming out with a good product.
    (Perfect example: Intel --- nothing is as good as the 496DX-2 66 was...)

So, I guess that's what you use??? Or, I got one I'll trade ya... If yas wants it...
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar
    You are all speaking the truth my maxtor hard drive burnt out in about 3 months it was a 40gb now i am using a WD caviar 1.2 gb that is about 5 years old and it works fine. I think they are more worried about faster and bigger than quality and reliability of the hard drives.
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

speaking as a maxtor fan, bear in mind they are shifting a much bigger percentage out these days, all makes get returns,
    and they have all increased due to a boom in sales, maxtor at least stand and be counted if their drives go bad, usually replacing with a bigger one, try and rma a fujitsu and see the difference.

I am Maxtors no 1 fan then seagate then ibm, thats my buying preference

Banned
    Originally posted by TRICKPLAYER
    speaking as a maxtor fan, bear in mind they are shifting a much bigger percentage out these days, all makes get returns,
    and they have all increased due to a boom in sales, maxtor at least stand and be counted if their drives go bad, usually replacing with a bigger one, try and rma a fujitsu and see the difference.

I am Maxtors no 1 fan then seagate then ibm, thats my buying preference
    fujitsu (uk) will NOT deal with the end user in the UK ,,,,,they suck!!!

FtF

I just had an 8 month old Ultrastar 36Gig die unexpectedly. Apparently IBM isn't limitting it's lousy engineering to the GXP series.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!