PIII 133 running on a slot 1 100 bus?

Thread: PIII 133 running on a slot 1 100 bus?

Registered User Guysdrinkingbeer's Avatar

Question PIII 133 running on a slot 1 100 bus?

OK here is the story. A buddy of mine has an old gateway that had a slot 1, PII 350. After upgrading the BIOS the board can now run up to a PIII 850. Slot 1s are getting pricey again. He bought a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter card. Right now he is running celeron 700 on the adapter card.
    We have a mutual friend that is selling his PIII 850EB socket 370 CPU; he is upgrading to a 1.2 PIII.
    The CPU has a 133 bus and for the life of me, I don't know if you can run a 133 chip in a 100 system.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters on the cover.

Re: PIII 133 running on a slot 1 100 bus?

Originally posted by Guysdrinkingbeer
    OK here is the story. A buddy of mine has an old gateway that had a slot 1, PII 350. After upgrading the BIOS the board can now run up to a PIII 850. Slot 1s are getting pricey again. He bought a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter card. Right now he is running celeron 700 on the adapter card.
    We have a mutual friend that is selling his PIII 850EB socket 370 CPU; he is upgrading to a 1.2 PIII.
    The CPU has a 133 bus and for the life of me, I don't know if you can run a 133 chip in a 100 system.
    It can work, but...:

1. All depends on what exactly the motherboard, what chipset... Intel BX-chipcet-based (like ASUS or Abit)motherboards can works stable enough at 133MHz FSB, but it is unofficially - most of motherboards may be working unstable at this FSB - it is oveclocking.
    Some of an old VIA chipset did support 133Mhz FSB as an official,though...

2. All depends also on what exactly BIOS version is...
    BIOS software may be not supporting that particular CPU's microcode. You may have to copy BIOS into file, unpack that BIOS file using special utils like CBROM and check BIOS's CPU microcode support module for that particular microcode (PIII-850EB) present (CPU ID). (visit Intel CPU microcode table page for that). If You have enough skills, you can manually correct that module for supporting any CPU (even Tualatins )
    Topic regurding editing CPU microcode (with Intel CPU ID table) can be found here, but it is in Russian mostly:
    http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/cpu-errata-new.html

3. Motherboard should have hardware support for working with mentioned CPU...
    But since Celeron 700 is working now with that motherboard, most likely 850EB CPU will be also electrically compatible with that motherboard.

So, could be only issues with BIOS compatibility (CPU ID support) and working at 133 Mhz FSB stability issues...

The russian (or ukranian) jedi master speaks the truth.

I have a PIII 933 successfully running on a bx chipset asus p3bf mb.

One other issue when running a 133 mhz fsb cpu on a bx chipset is you will overclock the agp slot to 89 mhz from 66 mhz.

I have a msi geforce 4 mx-440 64 mb ddr agp v.c.

It can handle it.

That might be a concern for the gateway.

Chances are though, that gateway may not even offer any 133 mhz settings.

Re: PIII 133 running on a slot 1 100 bus?

Originally posted by Guysdrinkingbeer
    First... p3-850EB????? there is no such thing. there IS an 850E, but no EB. The B indicates 133 bus. The p3's that run at 133 go from 800, 866 then 933... 850 does not fit in there anywhere. Now yours saying with a bios update you can go to 850, also the celeron your running tells us you CAN run coppermine.. so find out WHAT cpu your actual getting, cause you may have to underclock it.. 800 run at 600, 866 at 650 etc.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Registered User Guysdrinkingbeer's Avatar

My mistake

Originally posted by Matridom
    First... p3-850EB????? there is no such thing. there IS an 850E, but no EB. The B indicates 133 bus. The p3's that run at 133 go from 800, 866 then 933... 850 does not fit in there anywhere.
    The chip is an 800EB, not an 850. Thanks for catching that.
    "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters on the cover.

Doh!
    I wasn't paying attention to the cpu.

My bad.

Wink

Originally posted by cookin chef
    Doh!
    I wasn't paying attention to the cpu.

My bad.
    My too...