Kerio Personal Firewall - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kerio Personal Firewall

I thought it was just me!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Thumbs up

Originally posted by a d e p t
    BTW, ILTU, doesn't the 30-day eval apply only to professional/commercial users? I recall seeing a mention that it was free for home/personal use?
    'tis free to personal users....

I think I started this in another post but I still Like!

I've set up ICS on my main WinXP box and a Win2000 laptop now connects to my ADSL connection.

After about 3 minutes of looking around, I was able to properly filter this "LAN" connection through the Kerio Firewall.

I keep.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Review Update 3.0

After updating my Palm Desktop software, Kerio asked for a confirmation that this "new" version be authorized to reach the outside world.

Very interesting feature.

kerio

on adepts update's and praise for this firewall, i too installed it. Works like a champ...can't complain, it's nice to see who is on my machine and what progies are accesing the inet...

i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

I started off using Zone Alarm. It was very user-friendly, but seems almost cartoonish (kinda like the new XP style I guess).

I then found Tiny PF. Looked to be almost the exact same thing, only more professional looking (plain).

The team that developed Tiny left the company and started Kerio. KPF is basically the next version of TPF2. TPF3 is essentially a new untested product.

If you understand the concept of IP addresses and ports, you should have no problem working ZA, TPF2, or KPF. Just set it to "Ask" mode, and run your usual stuff. The only issue I had was the little "Ask" box popping up on the desktop when I tried to start an online 3D game. I'd usually have to C-A-D the game to answer the question. After that the rule was in the database already, so it worked fine afterwards. You can easily set up rules to allow a program to connect on one port, but deny another. Hint: ICQ doesn't need to connect to port 80 except to download banners. =)

If you're having trouble downloading it, check http://www.filemirrors.com/search.sr...e=kpf2-win.exe for other mirrors.

http://www.hackbusters.net/ob.html describes the "non-standard TCP/IP stack" vulnerability. Basically the old firewalls only saw traffic on MS' default stack.

Regarding the popup after upgrading a program: That was another big vulnerability in older firewalls. Their access databases stored only the filename of the program. Anything named iexplore.exe or netscape.exe (or the filename of some other trusted program) would have the same access privileges. Now they use a checksum to actually verify that the file is the right one, i.e. iexplore.exe is really IE instead of some virus named iexplore.exe.

Exclamation IF you want to see how well your fire wall works...

http://www.sygatetech.com/

This has to be one of the best sites for probing a fire wall. Norton has a test but I don't think it will probe as deep as this one will. Sygates own free firewall doesn't pass this test. Norton so far is the only one that I have used that passes 99% or 100% of the time. This site constantly updates the attacks.... So come here and scan your firewall monthly!!!

Let me know what firewalls work best free or not free...

heh - that time again already (bordem - thus the need to cause myself havoc, testing time again )
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Talking Re: IF you want to see how well your fire wall works...

Originally posted by Sp0cK
    ....Let me know what firewalls work best free or not free...
    Well since I have Kerio & have been reccommending it, I'll say this works 100%, now if I charge you some money for it so it ain't free will that make you feel better.....?

Like I said all these cheapo/free firewalls are merely cutdown versions of much more expensive ones minus the element of 'insurance' (you can't sue these guys ... but you can someone who charged you a big fat fee!). We are all busy being beta testers....

Re: IF you want to see how well your fire wall works...

http://www.sygatetech.com/

This has to be one of the best sites for probing a fire wall. Norton has a test but I don't think it will probe as deep as this one will. Sygates own free firewall doesn't pass this test. Norton so far is the only one that I have used that passes 99% or 100% of the time. This site constantly updates the attacks.... So come here and scan your firewall monthly!!!

Let me know what firewalls work best free or not free...
    What a coincidence!

Sygate's firewall scores the best on Sygate's probes!?

I'm very satisfied with Kerio so far and I highly recommend it.

A D E P T

I don't know what version of Sygate you tested with their probes but I tested the free version they give out and it failed their test. The full version may pass all the tests... I currently use Norton's Firewall and it passed every test sygate had. It failed a few times because Sygate constantly adds new attacks to it but after an update it was back on top.

It would be great if people would post the results of the test on here so we can narrow down what fire wall to use.

....I don't know what version of Sygate you tested with their probes but I tested the free version they give out and it failed their test....
    Do you mean Kerio failed it... if so how?

A D E P T

I don't know what version of Sygate you tested with their probes but I tested the free version they give out and it failed their test. The full version may pass all the tests... I currently use Norton's Firewall and it passed every test sygate had. It failed a few times because Sygate constantly adds new attacks to it but after an update it was back on top.

It would be great if people would post the results of the test on here so we can narrow down what fire wall to use.
    No offense meant Spock.

I just wanted to underscore the fact that the Sygate product was testing well on Sygate's probe. IMHO, that invalidates this test for that product.

I haven't had time to test out all the modules of the Sygate tests, but I've tested Kerio Personal Firewall (see previous pages in this thread) enough to know that it's my personal choice right now.

Talking

No offense taken...

Last edited by Sp0cK; October 8th, 2002 at 04:18 PM.

I installed the Kerio Firewall on my own, and a neighbours computer, a few weeks ago, and we have had no trouble with it. I have just carried out all the tests on the grc.com site, and I am pleased to say Kerio came through with flying colours.