Epox AMD 2200+

Thread: Epox AMD 2200+

Epox AMD 2200+

ok here we go. I have a Epox socket A 1.2ghz cpu. I upgraded to 512 megs pc 2700 ram and AMD 2200+ cpu
    I had to flash the bios on the Epox 8K3A mb to take the new cpu. Now the real funs begins If I set the ram to run at spd the sys comes up and reads 2200+ pc 2700 333 bus speed, I say good everything seems to be working surfing the net nothing goes wrong. Then I try to do any 3d apps doesnt matter what I run Boom I see the desktop every single time.
    Ive do fresh install of Win xp pro 3 times use the latest drivers used 3 different flashes nothing would work.
    So I said screw it let me try kicking the ram down to pc2100.
    Boom it works fine and it doesnt crash back to the desk top. I have steam comming out of my head at this point. The board accepts pc 2700 ram it accepts AMD 2200+ cpu and it does acept my ATI 8500 64 meg board. Why did the bios flash screw with the video at pc2700 setting. now #2 how can I get it to run at pc2700 and not pc 2100 its the princible of the matter if it can then it better. I have emailed Epox and were doing e-mail tag but nothing seems to be fixing the problem. Thanks
    My client is getting alittle antsy and wants there machine back?
    Last edited by Thor Caron; December 16th, 2002 at 10:15 PM.

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Crashing back to the desktop is a common memory timing error. Alot of 333 board are picky about the type of RAM that they'll run at 333MHz. Just cause you buy expensive RAM is no sign it is compatible. Download memtest86 and test your ram at 333 and if it fails, check the motherboard manufacturer's website for recommended RAM Modules.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    also, try setting the CAS latency to 3 in the BIOS
    Those who do not know, are lost...

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I have also noticed that flashing cmos will change some default values and also add or take away options as regards to AGP settings. You might want to check those.

Thanks everyone Im going to try and see if it waorks and let you all know what I find out