Ancient password blcoking BIOS options...

Thread: Ancient password blcoking BIOS options...

Ancient password blocking BIOS options...

Okay, I'm trying to activate the following things on my Compaq Presario 2286 with VIA Cyrix MII (333 MHz):

Gate A20 - Fast
    SDRAM Cycle Length - SPD
    Fast R-W Turn Around - Enable
    AGP-4X Mode - Enable
    AGP Fast Writes - Enable
    AGB Sideband Address - Enable

But it asks for a Password to get to it, and I don't know what the Password is!

Is their anyway I can change the BIOS with a program, or recover the password with a program?

(And don't tell me to upgrade or buy a new computer, thanks.)

Oh, and I also want to know if those settings will harm a computer with these specs:

Compaq Presario 2286
    4 Gig Hard drive
    160 Megs of Ram
    VIA Cyrix MII (333 MHZ)
    Windows 2000
    Creative 3D Blaster Savage4 (32 Megabytes, my 3D Card)
    Windows 2000 Professional
    Last edited by thomasca; December 30th, 2002 at 07:49 PM.

Fast writes..NO!
    AGP 4X.......NO!
    AGP Sideband...NO!.................................... ..............

Actually, none of it will work with your current configuration. You keep asking for the impossible with what you have yet you won't upgrade.......

Sorry, to play the games you want to play, you WILL have to upgrade.

BOTTOM LINE!
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Here's a clue genius:

Maybe I ask for ways I can have it perform better without spending a dime becuase...

I'm 14, and therfore, unable to get a job (also since I live miles away from any place I could get a job)! Maybe that's the reason I can't flash $500 in front of the cashier in a vain attempt to upgrade this peice of crap!

Sorry... I just get so damn tired of hearing "UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE! WASTE MONEY AND TIME" all the time (specifically, when I ask you NOT to say it.).

Not only that, I don't get how StarFleet Command II: EAW can work on my computer like a dream (Using 350 MHz of processor, the 3D Card), and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force doesn't work worth ****! (Using less resources than SFC II: EAW)
    Last edited by thomasca; December 30th, 2002 at 08:40 PM.

Originally posted by thomasca
    Here's a clue genius:

Maybe I ask for ways I can have it perform better without spending a dime becuase...

I'm 14, and therfore, unable to get a job (also since I live miles away from any place I could get a job)! Maybe that's the reason I can't flash $500 in front of the cashier in a vain attempt to upgrade this peice of crap!

Sorry... I just get so damn tired of hearing "UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE! WASTE MONEY AND TIME" all the time (specifically, when I ask you NOT to say it.).

Not only that, I don't get how StarFleet Command II: EAW can work on my computer like a dream (Using 350 MHz of processor, the 3D Card), and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force doesn't work worth ****! (Using less resources than SFC II: EAW)
    Heh.....With your smart-arse atittude I sincerely doubt you will get much assistance.

I'm sorry too..................Your economical issues are not something that can be helped, as well as the chip on your shoulder.

Have a nice day.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Your age shows.

1st: Elite Force is based on the Q3 engine. I don't give a crap what you think the box says, it takes a system at least twice as fast as yours to run it.

2nd: Any FPS released after Half Life is beyond that machine. Half Life may be beyond that machine.

3rd: Hey genius, whenever you get around to removing your head from your ***, try thinking about why new software doesn't work great on old hardware.

And on a personal note

4th: Not being able to get a job is bull****. Go mow a lawn or chop some firewood. That is, unless you're really the lazy bitchy teenager I know you are.
    Last edited by jaeger; December 30th, 2002 at 09:19 PM.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Heh, you're too young too be drinkin'... But who am I to judge?

Hey sonny, you want some cheese to go with your whine.

I bet you get picked on in school.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Originally posted by thomasca
    Here's a clue genius:

Woah kiddo, back up... show a little respect to current more established forum members, as for not being able to work, get a paper route or something, that's how I started out 8 years ago, scraped and saved for my first PC, took a while but got there, taking the all high and mighty attitude will get you no where on these forums. So you might want to revise your way of thinking. As you can already see you have gotten a few members backs up. Alot more will follow kid. I dunno, maybe you like negative feedback - As for your system specs, anything more than Quake 2 engine stuff is pushing it, 333 Cyrix, you have a word processor kid, look around for a K6-2 CPU or something. Just to keep your head above water till you get some more cash together..

That's all I'm saying on the subject, take it or leave it.

Oh yeah, and in answer to your original question you want a program called KillCMOS - but make sure you have some idea what your doing first. I think you burned some bridges tonight..
    Last edited by Garak; December 31st, 2002 at 12:00 AM.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Welcome to the freebie forum. Try being nice to get your FREE advice.

Here's the best clue I feel like giving you off the top of my head: there is a command out there somewhere that can be run from a DOS prompt that will reset your BIOS and erase the password. Simple as pie, all you need to do is type in about 6 lines of text and then restart the machine. No, I don't remember where I found that and I don't really feel like looking it up for you right now. Try a search engine.

Best of luck, and I hope you are merely having a crappy day and not always this rude.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Click here Thomas

Who forgot the password? Or did you inherit it with the password set? Have you asked the previous owner?

To save any further vitriol this thread is now locked.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."