Intel SE44BX-2 w/ Abit Slotket !!!

Thread: Intel SE44BX-2 w/ Abit Slotket !!!

Intel SE44BX-2 w/ Abit Slotket !!!

Anyone here have any thoughts on why I can't get the above combo to POST with an 850 MHz PIII (100 MHz bus)? This motherboard supports up to an 850 MHz CPU so it HAS to support Coppermine, right?

BTW, I have tested the CPU/Slotket combo on my BE6-II based PC and it works fine. I'm not trying to overclock, so all the jumber settings are set to "auto". Frankly I'm stumped.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...
    Last edited by mrwilhelm; January 14th, 2003 at 05:43 AM.
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

Possibly not, really would depend on the pin out of the slotket.
    I beleive Intel changed the pinouts on all three of the socket 370 designs. But since you have tried it on another board, I would say it's down to the board. And I can't find anything on google about the board at the minute Hopefully someone else can. Maybe to do with the autoselect on the card and the fact the board autoselects too. Try hardseting the slotket card.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

That was my line of thinking as well, so that's my plan of attack for tomorrow.

I've just spent several hours researching this on the internet, and there's nothing I could find that would suggest that this combo shouldn't boot right up.

BTW, the MB is running the latest BIOS and does support this CPU.

Originally posted by mrwilhelm
    BTW, the MB is running the latest BIOS and does support this CPU.
    Are you sure? May be it supports Slot1 PIII-850 (2V core), but not a Coppermine CPU FC-PGA, which has 1,75V core voltage... May be your voltage regulator IC does not supports 1,7V core - check it out, download the PDF file for this IC...

Abit BE6-II , by the way, supports even Tualatins! (voltage regulator IC works with 1,3V and up CPUs)... Just only some mods of the Slotket needed and the latest BIOS...

But the Intel board ...it is another story...
    Intel boards are hardly upgreadable...

Could you tell us, what the voltage regulator IC type this motherboard uses (located near Slot1 connector, 18-24 pins)? ...

I'm quite sure. I got the skinny from Intel before I even delved into this little project. They say that if the rev of the board is 754558-200 or later that it will indeed support Coppermine. Mine is 754558-304. Besides, the Katmai tops out at 600 MHz, so even a Slot 1 850 MHz PIII would still be Coppermine, right?

I think Garak hit the nail on the head with the jumper settings. Right now both the MB and slotket are set for auto detect. So in essence the MB is saying "Just tell me what kind of CPU you are and I'll supply you with the proper voltage", while the slotket is saying "Just tell me what kind of CPU I'm supposed to be and I will become that CPU". After I thought about it for a while, I don't see how anything can happen under that scenario.

Well...

So much for that theory! I tried hardsetting the FSB and voltage on the slotket and it's still deader than a doornail.

I just don't get it. This SHOULD work. Intel states quite clearly that it should:

http://www.intel.com/support/process...ssalist_mb.htm

While the Abit Slotket isn't mentioned on their approved list in this article, I did find a later doc listing slotkets Intel has tested and the Abit Slotket did meet all of Intel's requirements.

I'm absolutely stumped. Maybe this MB is just being finicky.