No luck with my Lucky Star and USB!

Thread: No luck with my Lucky Star and USB!

No luck with my Lucky Star and USB!

i have been trying to add usb funtion on this lucky star 5mvp3
    mobo, with via 82c597 rev 4 chipset, without any luck. the machine has an amd 500mhz chip with 128mb ram running win me. all settings in the bios are enabled for the usb headers on the mobo. when i attach the form card, still no funtion of any usb component. i even disabled usb funtion to the mobo, installed usb pci card, but when the computer searches for the driversfor the card the system shuts down , and reboots, until i just remove the card. i even installed the the usb filter from viaarena, still no luck. i was saving the bios update for last, but i can't seem to find this mobo company. thanks for any help.

At the risk of being facile you have installed the 4-in-1 (hyperion) chipset drivers? you need this as well as the usb patch...

The symptoms are classic for a hardware resource conflict.

I take it motherboard is ok without any usb on ?

As for bios (I've not checked but its a .bin so...) I googled this for you Leb9-1.bin but I don't know if this is newer bios than yours.

also on a side not if it is still not working how big is your power supply???

yes the computer works ok without the usb enabled in the bios, or without the usb pci card.
    the system has a 250 watt ps powering the socket 7 mobo, 1 cd rom, 1 hard drive plus the floppy drive.

Tried anything other than Win ME ? .... of all the windoze operating systems this is probably the most easily confus-ed

Whichever it might be try turning off ACPI in bios & set Plug 'n' Pray to off .... see if that helps, make sure if the bios contains the options that 'allocate' irq to Video is on, and if you are trying without the usb card, that there is an irq allocated for USB, but not with the add-on usb card..... Make sure with each 'attempt' that you set the option 'Clear NVRAM(esc-d)' option in bios to clear on each re-post...

You can help out the irq allocation process by turning off any 'un-required' stuff in bios like com1 & 2, maybes the printer port, anything just to see if you can get it going....

The 4-in-1 is installed ? You still didn't say.....

I think you may be SOL with your search for Lucky Star, they have gone bust?

I don't see that the PSU has anything to do with it since the machine 'works' minus USB.

You have tried moving your USB add on card through all the slots ?(with only video,mem & drives plugged in) ....

Have a look here and see if you can fathom which version of the board you have .... it gets worse there seems to be two bios versions, a 512 sized one & a 1meg one.... (oh that link will give you some suggested settings for bios which mightn't be helping if they are wrong)...

I used to have same motherboard (5MVP3) at home few years back...
    Manufacturer's site ( www.lucky-star.com.tw ) is not available at this moment (may be gone already)...
    But I have downloaded almost everything from their site for an old boards, if you need something...
    I sold them a lot with very low failure rate... was very good board for reasonable money...

It's true, this motherboard came in at least 4 different revisions (I was having rev.2, BIOS Le5-3)... But I didn't have much problems with USB... may be you have wrong pinouts...

Check also out BIOS setting, as Confus-ed already suggested... sometime PnP settings are working as opposed to what set in BIOS... i.e. PnP working fine if you have set "PnP OS"=no ... don't ask why... ...just make sure USB controller is listed in summary table (second POST screen) among other cards (Sound card, network card etc)... It would be good idea to re-assign IRQs for devices using "Resources controlled by = manual" instead of "auto" in BIOS PnP/PCI configuration...

May be this link can somehow help you:
    http://www.hwupgrade.com/motherboard...t7_comparison/

Good luck!

Well nice to see you once more 'Can-lan' .... I take it that 'business' in Canada is what is keeping you so busy, or am I getting better at answering bios type queries .... the link you gave is to the same site as mine

But real reason for posting .... can wrong USB header cause re-boot? Methinks it just wouldn't work not cause a re-tard

To Confus-ed:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You're right - I'm too busy last times, and do not visit WD as often as I would like to...
    But anyway, I will be glad to answer all your questions - just e-mail me...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry for my "quick" post - I really didn't check your link...

Since a lot of LS's motherboards were manufactured in Russia (plants in Moscow and in Zelenograd city, not in Taiwan),they are well-known in Russia and were having pretty good support until recently... but LS is gone now...

These MBs were coming in 4 main PCB revisions, last was rev.4.1 (3 DIMM slots, no SIMM slots)

Very popular was also rev.2:

Some drivers, manuals, BIOSes and so on still can be found on Russian Net:
    http://drivers.net.ru/drivers/Formoza.10/m_b/ls/5mvp3/
    ftp://ftp.nonolet.ru/Drivers/LuckyStar/
    http://txp4.narod.ru/ls/5mvp3/jumpers.html

Good luck!

Originally posted by Ruslan
    ...But anyway, I will be glad to answer all your questions - just e-mail me...
    Thanks ... nice to know ....

As for the rest of the answer .... .... I hope 2ftrain576 appreciates it.

thanks for all the help guys. i certainly appreciate it all. tried all the suggestions to no avail. the customer will use the box for back-up, and will invest in new system. other than the usb problem, the board was pretty stable. once again thanks to all...........