Optical Mice for Fast Gaming
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Optical Mice for Fast Gaming

Unhappy Optical Mice for Fast Gaming

I tried my First Optical mouse, a basic Logitec model. The cursor (or crosshairs) moved smooth and accurately. However, if i moved my hand Quickly, the mouse chokes. Is there a good optical mouse that is good for FAST Action games? I think the optical scanner in this mouse is aliasing the images of my surface or something. Do i need a different surface? this is a vinyl surface with a pretty dark image on it.

Put it this way. Does anyone have a optical mouse setup that can work as fast as their hand can move?

Thanks!

I use a USB Microsoft 5-button optical mouse for gaming.......
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

i use the wireless version of the same mouse...
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

So, can your hand "Out-Pace" these mice?

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I like the one with 2 optical "eyes", I think its made by logitech
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by natb1
    So, can your hand "Out-Pace" these mice?
    Nope.....not with the USB mouse, but I also have the wireless MS mouse.

It seems to lag behind quite a bit.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

The main thing seems to be surface with optical mice. Just to check, try using a sheet of light colored or white paper under the mouse. That usually helps whenever I encounter a surface my mouse won't work on.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by jaeger
    The main thing seems to be surface with optical mice. Just to check, try using a sheet of light colored or white paper under the mouse. That usually helps whenever I encounter a surface my mouse won't work on.
    ... I have a real cheapie cordless optical mouse (bought from netto the supermarket for £18 !) & I can't 'outpace' that ... but it does get confus-ed ('sticks') on surfaces that aren't all the same colour, like using the paper whilst in bed as a mouse mat, the duvet works better !

The Optical mouse I tried (I returned it already) was a Logitec USB wheel mouse. It was bout $17 US. I tried basically Two different surfaces.....a vinyl pad with a Dark image but containing lighter spots...and my table top....which is one of those 36X72 inch folding tables with a brown wood color laminate. Both surfaces worked smooth at low hand speeds, but choked when I "jerked" my wrist. Perhaps I will get another mouse...and try again. Mouse ball mice are getting hard to find these days.

I was wondering if there are any optical mousepads out there so I did a Google search for optical mousepad and turned up some interesting results.

btw, anybody remember the lasermice that came out a while back that required a special mirror mousepad?
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Originally posted by Rellik
    I was wondering if there are any optical mousepads out there so I did a Google search for optical mousepad and turned up some interesting results.

btw, anybody remember the lasermice that came out a while back that required a special mirror mousepad?
    Interesting observation relick.....we all know not to use optical mice on mirror surfaces right? I also remember seeing the first generation of "optical mice" on sale...they displayed them on expensive mirror surface squares. Right?

BTW...thanks for the idea!

Ive been using these 'affordable' mouse pads (Deskins) that peel and stick to your desk, with my ball mice. they work really well when stuck to a piece of place-mat (the kind you eat on). They only seem to be available as BULK advertising Pads. Ive purchased "Pro-Pads" which feal really smooth for a day or Two....but after a weak...the teflon pads on the mouse start to drag...pulling a non linear friction on your hand.

Speaking of "Paper Pads".....Ive used tight bond paper stuck to a place-mat with my ball mice...they work really well for a day or Two...then the sweat kills them. They do work well though!
    Last edited by natb1; July 6th, 2003 at 09:40 PM.

I have been using the microsoft intellimouse explorer from the day they released it and it is still one of the best. optical is so much better for gaming than a ball mouse. if i were to recommend any wireless optical, it would be the logitech mx 700, first off, it has a recharging craddle, hell, can you beat that with a stick, didn't think so, secondly, they are using rf in it, with is more accurate and can send more data. give it a shot, i know i'll be buying one soon, my 15 month old is going to destroy mine pretty fast with all his drool.
    tootall
    www.tootall.net

Logitech MX500 or MX700 (the 700 is a Wireless version of the 500)

This mouse was rated BEST mouse for FPS. ive got the MX700.

it is BY far, the BEST mouse i have ever touched (and i have touched alot of mice in my day)

it DOES have a recharging cradle, and it recharges fast! really really fast....

and its a nice weight (even with the battery). i have not USED the MX500 but im sure its a bit too light....

trust me on this, you will NOT be dissapointed....

i have a standard MS Optical, i cant stand to use it anymore.... it drives me up the wall....

I used the MS Intellimouse Explorer for a long time, until i got the wireless version. I haven't found a mouse that I like better. This mouse is big and heavy and has lots of buttons, it is perfect.

i see they now have a bluetooth version with a range of up to 30ft.
    Last edited by delmer_1; July 8th, 2003 at 07:56 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

I have finally found the solution to my problem. I purchased the logitech model that cost a few more dollars. It advertises a faster "MX engine", now I can play as fast as i want. Thanks for the help people!

B.T.W. On the topic of Cordless Mice, I tried one long ago, but I couldnt hold down KB buttons & move the mouse at the same time, the mouse movement was very choppy. Do newer models of cordless suffer from this? Ohhh it was a cordless KB/Mouse Combo...that might explain it.

Anyway...my new mouse work nicely....imagine that!